Is this usable wood or should be thrown away?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I fell the oak tree this summer. It was split at the bottom and infested with ants. Not sure what the species is, it's big black ants.
A good part of the trunk at the bottom consists of solid wood but has tonnels with larvae in it.
Should I just throw it away or split into small pieces and burn it eventually after drying?
Pics below

24717040-AE66-44A4-962E-18ABE9602351.jpeg ED7FA690-40A7-4A4C-8BC7-BF7698B6110D.jpeg D9B2CB95-1A6D-4D24-AD19-49990BEFDC7D.jpeg 526BE021-74FC-4A21-866D-1F97C4F4316F.jpeg

Use it...the lighter stuff can be SS wood, and the better pieces whenever you want.

Looks pretty good to me..I'd keep and burn that.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
Thanks, guys. I'll burn it. With those tunnels, the oak is going to be drier than normal wood

Thanks, guys. I'll burn it. With those tunnels, the oak is going to be drier than normal wood
Yeah, I call those "seasoning holes." 😏

Those are carpenter ants, they nest in dead rotten wood only. I cut some big old maples in the winter and they will be loaded with clumps of frozen ants. I just split it well to expose the tunnels and they are gone within a day. If the local birds notice they will gladly help out removing them.

I fell the oak tree this summer. It was split at the bottom and infested with ants. Not sure what the species is, it's big black ants.
A good part of the trunk at the bottom consists of solid wood but has tonnels with larvae in it.
Should I just throw it away or split into small pieces and burn it eventually after drying?
Pics below

View attachment 308053 View attachment 308054 View attachment 308055 View attachment 308056
Carpenter ants, the wood got wet and they thrive on that, once dry they move on, I burn plenty of similar wood like that with no ill effects.

absolutely. Stack it. It'll be good when its dry. Better yet I'll come get it so you don't have ants on your wood if your near the RI border

Those are carpenter ants, they nest in dead rotten wood only. ....
They seem to like dead wood, though I don't know about 'rotten only'. I've seen quite a few in good, solid chunks of wood.

To the OP - I'd say:

The wood is fine to burn. Just be careful that the ants don't move out of that piece and into other dead wood around ... like your house framing, outbuilding, garden shed, etc. Also, if you have chickens, set the wood out so they can pick at the ants and larvae - they will think you are a god and love you forever! (Well, at least for the next 15-20 minutes before they forget.... you know... chicken brains and all!)

Yep, that's good stuff! Usually not found till you start splitting. I just bounce the split off of some pavement nearby and they scatter. As said good aeration right there.

i picked huge white worms out of some rounds a few weeks ago, it burned fine. If after a few days, the wood doesn't dry out, stays mushy, don't burn, otherwise, burn it when dry.

The wood is sound/ not rotten. Looks like some of the wood in my stacks. Looks like borer damage. Ants take advantage of rotten wood. Unlike termites ants can't break down cellulose of sound wood.
Like other have stated ants usually dissipate once wood CSS.
Other insects . . . wrens will constantly pick through my wood stacks foraging for insects. Lots of wood stacks = lots of wrens.

Reactions: Vg3200p
I'm not sure they were really needed, but my SIL's table, made by a guy down the road, also has the seasoning holes. 😉
PXL_20230121_011255549.jpg

Those look like powder post beetle holes. They are unlike most pests and can live in dry wood and eventually burrow their way out. The only way to kiln them is to kiln dry the wood. Its the bane of folks who air dry wood.

Those look like powder post beetle holes. They are unlike most pests and can live in dry wood and eventually burrow their way out. The only way to kiln them is to kiln dry the wood. Its the bane of folks who air dry wood.
I've seen them in Hickory, maybe Maple and a couple other woods, but I'm trying to recall whether I've ever seen them in Oak..? I think the table is Red Oak, but not sure. Could be White maybe..I'll ask them.