Swamp_Yankee Posted By Swamp_Yankee, Oct 27, 2018 at 1:27 PM

1. Swamp_Yankee

Swamp_Yankee
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 18, 2018
    Loc:
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    An old well seasoned cast iron pan is great to cook with, but sometimes the seasoning coating gets funky and you just have to start from scratch. You can use pure lye (used for drain cleaning, soap making, etc...) from the hardware store to dissolve whatever baked on oils are coating the pan. Oils and fats are acidic and even the hardest most baked on oils are easily dissolved by lye, which is sodium hydroxide, about as strong a base as you can get. It goes without saying that you are made of acids and fats and will easily be dissolved by sodium hydroxide as well, so use caution. Safety goggles and heavy rubber gloves are a good idea. I use just enough water to cover the pans in a plastic container-in this case, a garbage can. Then drop in the pans and the powdered lye. Here's what it looks like after soaking two old pans for three days:

[​IMG]

Dropped into a bath (about 1:5) of vinegar and water to neutralize the sodium hydroxide-you can see that the baked on oil has become soft and gooey:

[​IMG]

Scrubbing in the sink with soap and an abrasive pad:

[​IMG]

After thorough rinsing with hot water and drying with paper towels. You want to get the iron as dry as possible as quickly as possible-it will start to flash rust no matter what you do, but the quicker you dry, the less rust you end up with:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When Mrs. Yankee gets home from the store I'll knock the patina off of them with a dry abrasive pad, wipe with a dry paper towel, coat them with flaxseed oil, and bake them at 450°F for a few hours.

2. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    Griswold made a great pan!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Poindexter

Poindexter
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 28, 2014
    Loc:
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Nice job.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. PaulOinMA

PaulOinMA
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 20, 2018
    Loc:
    MA
    Nice!

Do you know about WAGS? I'm cooking forum moderator over there.

http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

If people have trouble finding lye (Rooto or the equivalent) ask for it in the hardware store. Some places have it put away since it is used in making meth.

5. PaulOinMA

PaulOinMA
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 20, 2018
    Loc:
    MA
  6. PaulOinMA

PaulOinMA
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 20, 2018
    Loc:
    MA
    I use my 9/609 griddle a lot. Pancakes Saturday morning. Grilled cheese yesterday. :)

Perfect size griddle when I don't want to pull out the two-burner griddle.

7. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Nice pans. Griswolds had a really nice smooth finished surface to start with. I sold my Lodge pans and found a good old cast iron one at a yard sale that was pretty smooth, but would have loved to have found a Griswold. I think ours is a Birmingham.

You're doing it right with flaxseed oil. There's some science behind it based on fat polymerization. But it will take several coats to rebuild the layers for proper seasoning.
    http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

8. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I took a random orbit sander to a lodge skillet and have been thrilled with the results.

I can't get past using bacon to season the pans. Yeah, it doesn't work as well as some other stuff, but I'm committed to keep trying it. Eventually it'll work!

9. semipro

semipro
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2009
    Loc:
    SW Virginia
    I left our CI griddle in our electric oven during the oven's high temp self-cleaning cycle once - not intentionally.
    The griddle came out looking like it had just been cast new. The oven was clean too. ;)

10. PaulOinMA

PaulOinMA
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 20, 2018
    Loc:
    MA
    Roaster chickens are 59 cents per pound this week at my local supermarket. Roast chicken and vegetables in a no. 10 skillet (maybe a 12) tonight. :)

11. Dobish

Dobish
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2015
    Loc:
    Golden CO
    we have a few folks at our shop that have machined down their cast irons so they are nice and flat.... :)

12. PaulOinMA

PaulOinMA
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 20, 2018
    Loc:
    MA
  13. PaulOinMA

PaulOinMA
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 20, 2018
    Loc:
    MA
  14. PaulOinMA

PaulOinMA
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 20, 2018
    Loc:
    MA
  15. Woody5506

Woody5506
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2017
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I've restored a bunch of my own by plastic media blasting them, only because I have access to that equipment at work. Plastic works as a way of stripping whatever is on metal without leaving any type of profile or alteration on the metal, unlike sand blasting. If I didn't have access to the equipment then I would definitely set up an electrolysis tank which really is the best way to restore them. I've seasoned a bunch of mine with flax oil and it's a pretty time consuming 5 step baking process. The last couple pans I got didn't get any type of seasoning, basically they were plastic media blasted, cleaned when I got home and went straight on the stove to cook, and they perform just as well as the flax seasoned pans, just as non stick even on their first time use. After I cook with any of them I usually clean them out, heat back up and re-season with Crisbee.

There is a 60+ page cast iron thread on the FHC board with tons of good info and pics which I attribute to my nerding out over this topic and building up my small collection.