CAST IRON PRODUCTS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MARMSTRONG3

May 7, 2017
VERMONT
Hi Everybody, I'm on the hunt for a good supplier of 8x8 cast iron cleanout doors. I build chimneys and firrplaces and go through quite a few in a years time. We used to buy them in bulk for roughly $15 and now that that company is no longer in business, I'm only finding doors for $30 or more. I did find one source for $25 but the quality was terrible. Thanks for your help!

We just buy them at the brick yard for $27 and they are decent quality.

At our local brickyard, they are over 40. Hardware store is at 30+. Both have a lot of markings/lettering that I'm not too fond of, so I am looking for more plain and symmetrical We go through quite a few so each few dollars makes a difference.

We dont use many at all just to replace rusted out ones. We typically use aherens masonry doors if we are building new they seal allot better. As a mason who builds lots of chimneys can you tell me how much space you leave between the outside of the masonry structure and combustibles?

2" as NFPA specifies

Many we do now have insulated liners to make life simple and have the 0"
Ok good just wanted to check i would say only about 20% of the masons i ask know there is any requirement.

Oh and it is only 2" for internal chimneys but i am very happy to meet a mason who knows their trade

So do I win?!

I'm fourth generation and have many in the family involved in the business. When I started, I struggled carrying bricks at the minimum setting on the tongs(7).

So do I win?!

I'm fourth generation and have many in the family involved in the business. When I started, I struggled carrying bricks at the minimum setting on the tongs(7).
You proved that there are masons who know how to properly build a chimney. In my experience i would say less than 10% of the chimneys we inspect have any clearance at all. And many of the multigenerational companies are the wost. They just do it how their dad did it which was how his dad did it ect. Good for you for keeping up on the requirements