Castle Serenity - lots of ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
FWIW, I've never gotten pellets that were a blend from TSC, that were so bad I wouldn't consider using them again. And the ones packaged by Maine Woods are a little ashy but quite hot, I've burned many bags of those over the years. They have sold some straight hard woods I wouldn't bother with again. But one year they sold some pure white pines that I'd like to get my hands on a lifetime supply of, hot , hot pellets and almost 0 ash on the pot ! That said, if you have a Home Depot near by, check with them and see if they have some Fireside Ultra pellets in stock ( i know that Plymouth HD has them because I've been buying them there at $5.18 a bag), those should burn pretty well for you. Those are about my favorite mid range , hot, if a little dirty in a low burn BBS pellet. They are fine in the cold weather too. FSU are not a bad pellet at all. Maine Woods blends are not a bad pellet either but a little more ash.

You just need to get your air set right in that stove, no way you should be throwing sparks out the vent regardless what brand pellets you are burning..

I think my first pellets were the HD Fireside Ultra, I'll go back tomorrow since there is one just up the street from me.
I'll keep playing with the air and fan settings once I get the new pellets and see if it makes a difference.
Someone earlier made reference to adjusting the fan on the burn pot... is that tied in to the room fan setting or the exhaust fan? I only have those 2 to choose from. Or was I misinterpreting that as adjusting the air damper?

I don't own or operate the same stove but my understanding is you physically have to adjust the damper flap to where it is approximately 1/3 open ( this was the problem the lady had last year who was throwing sparks out of her stoves venting, hers was wide open). Then the fan adjustment would be for the combustion fan/blower ( this we do on Harman stoves as well but our damper is automatic). You need both of those items set properly to get a good burn, then it's just little tweaks from there for different pellets, if at all.

So pull what ever it is you have to pull ( side panels, vent pipe, what ever) and get your damper flap set to about 1/3 open. Hook things back up and set your combustion fan , which I assume is an electronic setting.

Maybe a real Serenity owner will chime in !lol

I don't own or operate the same stove but my understanding is you physically have to adjust the damper flap to where it is approximately 1/3 open ( this was the problem the lady had last year who was throwing sparks out of her stoves venting, hers was wide open). Then the fan adjustment would be for the combustion fan/blower ( this we do on Harman stoves as well but our damper is automatic). You need both of those items set properly to get a good burn, then it's just little tweaks from there for different pellets, if at all.

So pull what ever it is you have to pull ( side panels, vent pipe, what ever) and get your damper flap set to about 1/3 open. hook things back up and set your combustion fan , which I assume is an electronic setting.

Maybe a real Serenity owner will chime in !lol

I do have the flap about 1/3 open, I think that part I am all set on. Once I try new pellets I'll try adjusting it again... I just need to get that balance figured out and I'll be all set. The sparks out the vent are what really irks me... the end of the vent is about 10 feet off the ground and LARGE embers are still falling to the ground and slowly burning out. Once again it seems to be that the pellets I'm burning are the common denominator.
I can't believe all the helpful information given here, it's great!

Reactions: alternativeheat
I'm going to guess that with some pellets it might not be inconceivable to close that valve up some more, say 1/4 way. You want to get your air volume to a point where you just have nice flame tips but still a clean burn. Be that it happens by vent/combustion blower speed or damper opening or the perfect combo between the two. You'll get it set eventually though !

On our Harman I like to get it so some of the glowing pellets just about dance on the pot but don't lift off. There are always sparks inside a pellet stove but they shouldn't be making it out the vent, mine die as they settle to the bottom of the stove.

Last edited:
What is your exhaust blower setting at, start to back down the voltage of the exhaust blower gradually allowing 15 mins. For the stove to take to the adjustment, monitor the flame and and sparks. You can keep making fine adjustments as long as the flame is not getting lazy, when you got it close the sparks should stop.

Last edited:
What is your exhaust blower setting at, start to back down the voltage of the exhaust blower gradually allowing 15 mins. For the stove to take to the adjustment, monitor the flame and and sparks. You can keep making fine adjustments as long as the flame is not getting lazy, when you got it close the sparks should stop.

I actually have backed down my exhaust blower a little bit on the medium burn setting. It's possible it's made a difference but I got bored standing outside last night waiting for things to happen (or not happen) and it's still pretty warm here so I didn't let it burn all night. I think the information I'm getting here is starting to sink in and adjustments should start being noticeable soon... new pellets tomorrow maybe and more than likely more questions ;)

Reactions: rich2500
My glowing pellets are always bouncing around in the burn pot.
Well then keep turning your blower down for as long as the activity seems lively, you can always turn it back up if you went a little too far and it goes dead. FYI, when you get this right the stove is probably going to put out more heat on the same pellets. When you get those FSU, maybe tomorrow, you may or may not have to tweak slightly for them. FSU in my stove I turned the blower up a little, in a low burn they produced dark ash on the door and I had set the blower for some hotter, faster burning pellets that I wish I could get more of because they were super hot and clean ! but for what you are doing, as I said , it may or may not need a tweak. FSU are a decent mid road pellet, close in nature to Energex..

Ok good sounds as though we are getting you to understand the workings of your stove, should be smooth sailing from here.

Well, so far so good tonight. Flame looks good, I've checked 4 times so far and NO embers hitting the ground and only a few sparks shooting out. In a little bit I'll shut it down and clear out the ash pan and start with a full hopper and check my ash hole on Friday ;)
It's funny, all I did was open my damper a tiny bit.

So it's improved, but you aren't there yet. You should have nothing coming out the vent but some hot fumes ( well at night if you shine a light at the vent you will see what looks like a little smoke but no sparks, sparks are not acceptable). You're headed in the right direct though. Have you started to turn the blower down yet ?

As I said earlier, you will always have some sparks shooting around inside the stove. But they shouldn't be making it outdoors.

Last edited:
So it's improved, but you aren't there yet. You should have nothing coming out the vent but some hot fumes ( well at night if you shine a light at the vent you will see what looks like a little smoke but no sparks, sparks are not acceptable). You're headed in the right direct though. Have you started to turn the blower down yet ?

As I said earlier, you will always have some sparks shooting around inside the stove. But they shouldn't be making it outdoors.

I tried turning down the blower but..... I forget what happened. I just cleaned the ashes out and filled the hopper and started it up again. I'll heat it up and turn the blower down a notch and see what comes about. Getting there.....

I'm starting to feel like I know this stove myself now, I think I want one for my basement wood working/work shop !! Course I'd take a good used P43 at the right price too.

Reactions: bags and rich2500
The thing with the Serenity is that because of it's simplistic design of no internal passages and exhaust outlet being right at the bottom of the firebox it moves alot of air through the stove quickly and that is why it throws the sparks out the exhaust so it's just a matter of finding the correct air balance.You will not find an easier stove to clean though, deep cleanings are basically non existent on the Serenity.I like my Ravelli but I sure do miss the simplicity of the Serenity.It's tough going to work everyday and seeing that brand new Serenity just sitting next to my tool box covered up.

Last edited:
I'm starting to feel like I know this stove myself now, I think I want one for my basement wood working/work shop !! Course I'd take a good used P43 at the right price too.
Awesome we need a Serenity guru :)

Welp.... cleaned out the ashes, fired it up so it's really hot and there are sparks flying out the exhaust and even landing on the ground again. Seems like there is an air flow issue... I've turned the blower down a notch again and will check outside, again, in a bit...
The red hot coals are bouncing around in the firepot... I turned the blower down to see if that helps, seems to have. Still sparks outside and falling to the ground.
The fire looks really nice, swirling about in the firepot and it is HOT! The side of the stove is about 400 degrees by my IR thermometer.
Should I lower the fan speed next or open/close the damper to deal with the outside sparks??

Back the exhaust fan down some more

Done, still sparks and sparks to the ground.

Deductive reasoning brings me to the conclusion the pellets are not burning fast enough in the burnpot and falling through the holes and getting blown outside. I need to figure out how to get the pellets to burn faster... more air or turn up the blower? GRRRRR!!!!

P.S. The flame doesn't seem to be as happy as before.

try opening the damper gradually, if thats not helping
give Ardisam a call and they will walk through everything with you over the phone, rather then stretching this out over days here.I personally never experienced the spark issue but I'm sure they have and should be able to get you squared away. Their customer service is the best in the business.

Last edited:
Awesome we need a Serenity guru :)

Nope! You're stuck. Load that in the box new Serenity up and bring her down to me. I'd love to foster her here. She'd have a good home. LOL!

A serenity will likely be the next stove I buy. I've been checking them out for some time and for the money I do not think you can go wrong with one. Then again used Harmans for the right price are always welcome but as we all know they also bring big bucks used but there are deals sometimes.

I am entertaining one for a similar situation, Alternative. I have bee thinning the herd here lately with my toys. I sold a car about two weeks ago and a guy came yesterday and bought my BMW K1200S bike so I am due for some "new toys." At least that's how I will justify it to the wife........

Right now I really do not need any more toys. I always like to dream big though. LOL!

A serenity will likely be the next stove I buy. I've been checking them out for some time and for the money I do not think you can go wrong with one. Then again used Harmans for the right price are always welcome but as we all know they also bring big bucks used but there are deals sometimes.

I am entertaining one for a similar situation, Alternative. I have bee thinning the herd here lately with my toys. I sold a car about two weeks ago and a guy came yesterday and bought my BMW K1200S bike so I am due for some "new toys." At least that's how I will justify it to the wife........

Right now I really do not need any more toys. I always like to dream big though. LOL!
Call it toys or what ever, I just know that the basement in mid winter is too cold . I had a kerosene heater down there for years, it got old and rusted but I should have kept it. Instead tossed it, to find out that the sales of new ones is now banned in this state.

Call it toys or what ever, I just know that the basement in mid winter is too cold . I had a kerosene heater down there for years, it got old and rusted but I should have kept it. Instead tossed it, to find out that the sales of new ones is now banned in this state.

That's why we invented New Hampshire ;)

Nope! You're stuck. Load that in the box new Serenity up and bring her down to me. I'd love to foster her here. She'd have a good home. LOL!

20161117_104955_zpscoxxjd0w.jpg
That's how she has been sitting since I got her. No guru here just offer up my useless 2 cents.!!!