Cat burglar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's been happening locally too.

It's happened a lot here in the past, not as much lately though.

Here if you have a gas car you're safe, the crooks want the DPF filters off diesel vehicles as they contain more precious metals.

I was just reading this article last night. Sometimes I think these type of articles shouldn't be published, I never would have know about it otherwise, and I'm sure a lot of degenerates wouldn't either.

Reactions: vinny11950
We lost a truck tot earlier this year. It would have cost over 50% of the purchase price to fix the truck.

Last year, before the pandemic, I was thinking of getting a new catalyst for the Jeep. Back then the price for the CARB compliant model I was looking at was around $250. After reading the article, I go check the price again and it's close to $400. :eek:

I think I'll keep the old one for a little bit longer. Plus, it looks like crap - painted over a few times to keep the rust away, the heat shields held in place with wires - so maybe that will act like a camouflage .

But definitely an item I should have bought last year.

I turned in all mine about 10 years ago since I couldn’t pass up $100 apiece at the scrapyard. I had saved them in case I felt like welding on new flanges as the old ones rusted off. But I just ended up putting on universal stainless cats from eBay for less than $100 each. They’re still under $100. For newer cars or states with inspections maybe that won’t work, but it works for me and my 25+ year old cars. Anybody wants mine that’s all they’re gonna get, the hassle would be worse than the cost of replacing it.

Reactions: vinny11950