Cat cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
As a Woodstock guy... getting the cat out is easy, but the vinegar bath is a pita. I don’t have a pan large enough to fit the cat so I submerge it partially at an angle in distilled water/vinegar. It takes a lot of time scooping hot liquid from the bottom of the pan and pouring it through the cat to get me to a point where it seems clean. On rinsing using the same method, it never is. It seems to be ‘cleaner enough’ though as the performance is back up.

I’d say having a second cat on hand is a good idea. When cat cleaning takes place during peak burn time. It’s nice to get the stove cool enough to pull the cat, drop in the other, and get the heat going again while I clean the offending cat.

Reactions: Highbeam
Does Woodstock recommend doing the vinegar bath periodically and is the Woodstock CAT any different from the BK CAT? I find it weird that only one wood stove company is recommending this. From your experience is it possibly harmful to the CAT on the long run?

There is no long run if you burn full time and demand high performance from your cat.

Woodstock owners seem to either do the cat bath method or the spray bottle method. The cat bath is obviously a much better method, but takes a lot more work.

Neither woodstock nor BK make cats, and there are only a couple third party manufacturers.

It's not harmful to your cat if you are using distilled water. Tap water will cause the exact problem that you are trying to solve with the vinegar.

To put the whole thing in perspective though, I'd imagine that 95%+ of cat stove owners never touch the cat and wouldn't have the first idea if it was performing like a new cat or at 50%.

Reactions: coutufr