Cat Temp Gauge Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tofriendscreek

Jan 13, 2016
Central Illinois
I need some assistance from the members. For the last 40 years my homes have had a conventional masonary fireplace, an insert or a stove. None of these involved a catalytic combuster.
The house I recently moved into has an Appalachian Gemini 32 BW. (pic uploaded) This is a zero clearance model. It was manufactured in late 1992. It has a catalytic combuster. The stove is set back from the face of and is surrounded by a masonry wall. It is attached to a multiple wall stainless steel chimney of 22'. There is plenty of draft.
I've been fighting to bring this model to life as it's never performed well IMO. It needs a new damper/bypass
image.jpeg
assembly and catalytic combusters, both of which should arrive in a few days.
My question is regarding temp gauges, particularly for operation of the cat. There currently are no gauges. When I removed the old warped damper housing I noticed a small hole in the top plate of the stove. It is an inch behind where the cat is located. A wire comes out of the hole, across the top and down the side of the stove. The manual makes no mention of it, but I was told by the manufacturer the wire is a thermocouple for measuring the temp for operation of the catalyst.
Specifically, I'm looking for a simple, small thermometer to plug into. Another pic is attached showing the 2 wires I have to work with. I don't want a controller, just a simple digital readout so I'll know when it's best to shut the damper bypass.
I'm not an electrician and would really appreciate your opinion and guidance.
image.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.