Cat temp never gets very high

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

griam01

Jan 22, 2016
Upper Panhandle, WV
I just got done re-reading all of the pages in the ci2600 post for the second time. I have posted a few times in that thread but have not received responses. I am still not holding consistent cat temperatures. I may get to 800 but I have never got it any hotter. I have burned it about 7 times now and today the temp is in the low 40s. I have it loaded fairly full about 3/4 if I had to guess. b7dae8e44768f39781b66733110ea815.jpgfc776a3a2ee0398f0ad6977fcd076eb4.jpg305c0abfc8292cc3f3622f531987c4fd.jpg5a1ff1a3d2a5a966d48025c99f281315.jpg8e43738002a9bad680b6718d436afd01.jpgBut once I put the fan on and close it down the temps drop down. After a few hours I am at 500 and I know it will continue to decrease. The unit is on one side of the house and chimney is 25 ft high on the outside of the house. There is no insulation other than all the firebrick around the unit and the liner is not insulated. What I noticed is that the installer lifted the unit in the fireplace and placed it on fire rock and there is an open area underneath the fireplace. I took pictures so you can see what I mean but do you think this could cause my issue of the temp not staying up? Thank you for any advice you can provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My cats temps drop a lot when the fan is running. Maybe your drawing the heat off with the fan?

I guess I am trying to figure out if I shouldn't have that much open area and if that is causing my issues of not getting a high temp like I see others getting for periods of times. Should I put roxul there?

Got ya. That shouldn't effect the cat temps. Why was the liner not insulated? I also assume there not a block off a block off plate? Is it sealed off and insulated at the top?

Since this is a flush insert I need the fan to throw the heat off. I just didn't expect it to cool it that much.

I guess I am trying to figure out if I shouldn't have that much open area and if that is causing my issues of not getting a high temp like I see others getting for periods of times. Should I put roxul there?

They did that because your hearth is so rough, the unit needed to be lifted as high as the highest stove, or chisel the stones down. Air should not be making its way out of the top of the chimney, but I'm guessing it is.

The liner just fit up the fireplace as it is so there was no room for i insulation. There is not a block off. Not sure about the top

The liner just fit up the fireplace as it is so there was no room for i insulation. There is not a block off. Not sure about the top

It's very uncommon to not be room for insulation in a fireplace flue. It happens on occasion though..

I have a feeling my installer did not know what he was doing to do this correctly. It appears I need to insulate the liner and have a block off plate installed?

Air will be pulled right past the insert and out the top, even more so with raised off the floor like that if it's not at least sealed and insulated at the top. A block off plate isn't required with an insert, if your bid didn't show one, then it's not necessarily wrong. It will greatly improve performance though. Any pictures of the cap?

I can get some pictures tomorrow in the daylight. It has a cap and when I go out and look at it I do not show any smoke or anything coming out of it.

The installer was a general contractor not someone that specializes in fireplaces, etc so it's possible it is wrong. I think I need to find someone locally to come out and look and see what I may need to make this work properly and if anything else was done incorrectly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just now I had the temp to 700. It had been there for at least 15 mins with the bypass and air closed down. Cat was engaged at 550 and is glowing nicely. Within minutes from turning the fan on low the temp is at 600.

Is the air turned all the way down? It's a hybrid unit correct? Might be just fine, it's unlikely that it'll run with the air off, it's not actually a true cat stove..

The bypass is closed and the air is all the way down. Temp is down to 450 now. I know that if it isn't at or over 500 the cat is not engaged so I want it to at least stay at that temp. I turned the fan off, opened the air and it jumped to 500. Then I opened the bypass and it is at 550 in the time it took me to type this.

I waited till it got to 600 and closed the bypass. Now I have taken the air down to almost closed and waiting for the temp to rise more before turning the fan back on.

If you feel I am doing anything else wrong please let me know as I am new to this and just want to make sure I and doing it correctly. Others talk about cat temps 900-1300 and I get no where close to that.

If you feel I am doing anything else wrong please let me know as I am new to this and just want to make sure I and doing it correctly. Others talk about cat temps 900-1300 and I get no where close to that.

Don't close your air down all the way. Depending on your particular setup, primary air turned off may not work. Hybrid stoves do not work as well as cat stoves on low. Others will might dispute this, but they don't own Blaze Kings!::-)

Ok I just turned the fan back on a few mins ago. It was at 650 when I turned it on. Now it is at 550. I turned the air to 3/4 closed. I will adjust as necessary and see how it goes. I know others with this unit have it closed down and get long hot burns so I am just trying to get closer to that.

Is the air turned all the way down? It's a hybrid unit correct? Might be just fine, it's unlikely that it'll run with the air off, it's not actually a true cat stove..
It has a cat in it so it is a cat stove and yes when installed correctly they run just fine turned all the way down .

Ok I just turned the fan back on a few mins ago. It was at 650 when I turned it on. Now it is at 550. I turned the air to 3/4 closed. I will adjust as necessary and see how it goes. I know others with this unit have it closed down and get long hot burns so I am just trying to get closer to that.
How long has you wood been cut split and covered? Have you tested its moisture content?

Status
Not open for further replies.