Cat too hot, but stove is not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

StoveInNH

Jan 25, 2023
NH
New Clydesdale owner here . . .

I've had the stove for a week. :)

Things are going well, however on two occasions the cat thermometer has registered "Too Hot" (just a bit), but the stove itself is nowhere near too hot. Using an IR meter on the stove, the hottest metal I can find is barely 400 (under the top grill). The flue (the small section I can see) is around 450. The glass is hotter (600+) but I'm not sure it's measuring the glass or the flame in the box.

I'm not overloading the stove with wood. The flames looks good and the secondaries are definitely putting out solid flame. In fact, I'd say at times there's more fire coming out of the secondaries than the wood itself. Built-in fan is on full.

When the cat registers too hot I close the air intake completely. It takes a while, but the fire will start to die down and the cat will cool off.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

And if it happens again, should I bypass the cat anytime it registers too hot.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
New Cats tend to spike high temps for a while, just very sensitive when new. Probably not the end of the world.

Reactions: stoveliker
Although if your flue reading is 450 on the outside, that would roughly equate to 900 inside. Which is pretty hot. Maybe running the stove kinda hard, but the stove body is reading low since the blower is on so high…? 🤷

That^^^. New cats run hot but will settle down after a cord or so.

I would not worry too much.

I'd see if you can turn down a bit sooner if you're running at 900-ish temps in the stove pipe.

How tall is the chimney from flue collar to chimney cap?

That^^^. New cats run hot but will settle down after a cord or so.

I would not worry too much.

I'd see if you can turn down a bit sooner if you're running at 900-ish temps in the stove pipe.

How tall is the chimney from flue collar to chimney cap?
I'll measure the flue tomorrow and report back.