Catalyst temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

miller.rob91

Oct 2, 2018
Pennsylvania
Hey all.. I have a Lopi cape cod hybrid we just bought about a month ago. It came with a thermometer for the catalyst and I’m assuming there is a certain temperature that is optimal to close my bypass at. I was just wondering what that number usually is? Also I have a thermometer on top of my stove that doesn’t seem to be going over 300-400 degrees “best operation” maybe I’m not used to the catalytic stove but I always remember them getting much hotter. Thank you for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That stove has a convection area, an air space between the firebox and the stovetop. It won’t get much hotter there. Do you have the fan?

Typically you can close the bypass once it reaches 500 degrees, the manual gives you specific instructions for the stove.

I really like the fan design on the Cape Cod, the Rockport and the Evergreen.
I didn’t have a fan on my Cape cod, I planned to add one, but it didn’t last long enough...<>