Catalytic Probe for The Ideal Steel. What size?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
Hi guys,
I am trying to put together a plan to install a catalytic probe in my Woodstock Ideal Steel.

Here's what I know.
1. Using a drill bit and a micrometer it appears as if the factory hole is approximately 0.210"
2. The best reach I seem to get out of it length wise is 4'' (probe length). Any longer and the bypass will hit it during closing.
3. During operation, the probe may be in close proximity with the sled and stove body (see picture).

Questions...
1. Is this opening the standard size for probes? I cannot seem to find this dimension on Condar's website.
2. Is it a good idea for the probe to be placed slightly over the cat or should I go shorter?
3. Will the probe read the hottest temperature ok, or will proximity with other parts effect its temperature?

The first picture the bypass is closed, second picture partially open, third picture fully open.The tool in the picture represents the 4" probe.

Thanks, for any feeback.

Attachments

• 2015-09-21 19.10.28.jpg
    2015-09-21 19.10.28.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 355
  • 2015-09-21 19.11.54.jpg
    2015-09-21 19.11.54.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 305
  • 2015-09-21 19.12.23.jpg
    2015-09-21 19.12.23.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
I would ask the good folks at Woodstock they never take more then two days to get anything you need.

They don't seem to have any interest in selling a catalytic probe.

They put the hole in the stove? I assume it's the standard size. Is there a plug you have to pull? I would just burn wood.

They put a bolt in the hole. They do not offer a probe though. I do " just burn wood", however, I would like to add a cat probe.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Not sure who you spoke to at Woodstock, but I would call back and get a straight answer. Maybe ask for Loren. Unfortunately the manual mentions the cat probe in the table of contents but not in the body of the manual. Seems like an oversight.

Not sure who you spoke to at Woodstock, but I would call back and get a straight answer. Maybe ask for Loren. Unfortunately the manual mentions the cat probe in the table of contents but not in the body of the manual. Seems like an oversight.
Yea I have an email out to Lorin and amazingly she didn't respond today.

I'm sure the cat will fire up just fine without the probe. you trying to really dial her in eh?

It does fire just fine.

Do you have a local stove shop nearby? I would just buy one online I bet they are all the same.

On My Buck the Cat Probe has a Small Ferrel on it, The OD of the Ferrel is about .210, a little sloppy in what seems like a .250" Hole

On My Buck the Cat Probe has a Small Ferrel on it, The OD of the Ferrel is about .210, a little sloppy in what seems like a .250" Hole

That is very helpful information. Does Buck make that probe or is it a Condar?

Its Condar, 7" long though...

If you are going to go with a probe I would advise going digital, I got sick of not being able to see my cat temp from across the room and setup a thermocouple system a few years back and love it.

I would recommend checking out Aubers products: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=441

Well for a little over 20 bucks I can get a probe. That is a step in the right direction. Thermocouples are fun, but I've spent enough money on burning wood. It's time for wood to start paying me back.

Does it seem fairly accurate (within reason) ?
The position of the probe tip in your pics looks pretty good, slightly over the edge of the cat. I like the tip within 1/2" of the face of the cat. A little further, like 3/4", will work but it will read slightly lower.

The condar flue temp probe meter requires a 3/16" hole drilled into the inner flue for insertion of their probe. It's not a terribly sloppy fit. 3/16" is 0.1875" or bit smaller than your 0.210 inches. 35 thousandths difference.

Well for a little over 20 bucks I can get a probe. That is a step in the right direction. Thermocouples are fun, but I've spent enough money on burning wood. It's time for wood to start paying me back.

Good morning,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm just about ready to purchase the IS for our new home, and was wondering how you made out with the cat probe? Was the Condar 4" the right fit? Was the purchase worth it?

Thank you