Catalytic Stove Pros and Cons

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Like the color of your skin, your income, or your sex, I don’t care what your opinion is on global warming! I didn’t feel like anybody was trying to sell it. Anyway.

You seem to be decided on a princess or other bk. That’s good, I really like mine.

Do you “need” a king? I think the question is why put in a princess when you could be fortunate enough to run a king. Your home size, especially with the tall ceilings, puts you over the princess’ recommended capacity but those recommendations are just a rough guide.

The princess would keep you warm safely and efficiently but you would have to run it pretty hard when the weather is cold which would result in shorter burn times. Maybe that’s okay because you would get more flames.

The king has a huge fuel tank and wide range of available outputs. It can run almost as low as the princess but that huge fuel tank means that at any chosen output level it runs way longer.

Oh and that photo of aaronk’s glass that bg posted is worse case scenario. You would have to try to get it that bad. The bark is best removed by scraping with a blade or even a little chunk of kindling.

Is this stove to be in the lower level? If not, the lower level won’t get much stove heat and the princess could be better suited.
Yeah, I couldn't find the shot you recently posted of your Princess burning, found that one instead. Post your shot here for comparison.

Yeah, I couldn't find the shot you recently posted of your Princess burning, found that one instead. Post your shot here for comparison.

I would but it’s so warm right now that there is no flame. We baked two loaves of bread today and the house is at 80! No flames!

That is a real issue. Most of the time, like 95%, the stove keeps the house in the 70s without any visible flame. I reload once per day in the evening.

Reactions: AlbergSteve

Wait, I think I found the photo you speak of.

I was on the ground and peaking at the glowing cat.

Attachments

• D9480B6D-DA59-4C58-81DC-8165E5AB9E91.jpeg
    D9480B6D-DA59-4C58-81DC-8165E5AB9E91.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 141
This is the second season I don't bother try cleaning up the glass. I just burn hot on reloads. That takes care of it. This is just right now walking in from work.

Attachments

• IMG_20190202_174120.jpg
    IMG_20190202_174120.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 141
Yeah, I think people overstate the black glass. If your fuel is reasonably dry it’s just not that bad.

Reactions: Tar12 and lsucet
There has to be some flaw in the BK experience. Otherwise, the primitive part of the human brain may reject it as too perfect, and some users wake up from the Matrix, realizing that it's just an illusion generated by the machine to fool them into fueling it.

There has to be some flaw in the BK experience. Otherwise, the primitive part of the human brain may reject it as too perfect, and some users wake up from the Matrix, realizing that it's just an illusion generated by the machine to fool them into fueling it.

It doesn't add BTUs to wood, and you still have to drop it, limb it, haul it, buck it, split it, haul it, stack it, cover it, season it, haul it in, and put it in the stove.

If you really want a deluxe user experience, try electric heat. :)

4666278697_a3bd5d2468_z.jpg

Last edited:
I had to run the oil furnace to maintain comfortable temps in the house. I even ran a few loads of compressed wood blocks to eliminate the wood as an issue. I like the stove but it just isnt great at high btu output.
I ran the furnace a few times here also. My office is the only room in the house that doesn't get heat from the insert. When I come down in the morning, this room is 48-50 degrees. I have an Ecobee thermostat for the furnace, so when I wake up, I gran my cell phone, turn the thermostat up while I am in bed, and lay around till I know this room is warm.

You may find it heats well enough that you won't use the heat pump. Once ya start burning, it becomes a ritual, a want, a need for fire. And the heat feels so much better than forced air, at least for me it does.
Get the King or whatever large stove you like. You won't be sorry.

Oh and how much do the cats cost?

For the princess they’re under 200$ shipped including the gasket, pop a new one in in two minutes with no tools. They last 10-12 thousand hours of burning.