Cathedral ceiling install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chance04

Burning Hunk
Nov 22, 2014
Eastern Shore MD
So I tore down the old lined cement block heatsink and am in the process of installing dsp and class a chimney. I have selkirk class a already so i purchased selkirk 206621 and the flashing for my roof. My question is am I going to have to get one of those black support boxes or do I just cut back the clearances and use the trim provided? Northline claims everything except the flashing for the roof is provided in the kit. I just want to be doubley sure. Perhaps from someone who has used this particular kit already or installed one.

Thanks
Tony

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Whether it's included in the kit or not, you're gonna need a ceiling support box,
unless you have L-brackets to mount the Class A to a plywood floor deck.

It looks like this 5291eba82242c5c2d767d15293541363.jpg

That kit has a roof support. A ceiling support is not necessary with that kit.

Reactions: chance04
Can I stuff some roxul or something similar in the 2" gap around the penetration into the living space as to prevent drafts?

Technically no. But, Selkirk/Hart&Cooley does make an insulation that is to be used in ceiling support boxes and thimbles. It just looks like unfaced fiberglass insulation. We use it on occasion. Especially when the home is being spray foamed, to prevent condensation and/or to prevent foam from coming into contact with the pipe.
https://www.northlineexpress.com/selkirk-universal-shielding-insulation-susi-5539.html

Technically no. But, Selkirk/Hart&Cooley does make an insulation that is to be used in ceiling support boxes and thimbles. It just looks like unfaced fiberglass insulation. We use it on occasion. Especially when the home is being spray foamed, to prevent condensation and/or to prevent foam from coming into contact with the pipe.
https://www.northlineexpress.com/selkirk-universal-shielding-insulation-susi-5539.html
Technically......I understand. Thank you kindly for all the info. Your a scholar and a gentleman!