CB Edge 750 water Temp Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cmrtymrt

Nov 12, 2019
Ohio
I have a classic edge 750 and I’m going on my 4th heating season. The water temperature is set at 185 but my digital gauge inside my house shows my water temperature coming in is 165. The return line at the boiler shows 162. So on a 65 degree day I am loosing 20 degrees to the house on a 100 foot run but loosing 3 degrees going back to the boiler, I am using thermal plex. I know doesn’t make sense right. So I called central boiler and of course got no where. My local dealer came out and was able to program the controller which got me 10 more degrees, that’s right it use to be worse. 185 degrees and I was getting 155 for water temperatures inside the house. Anyone else having this issue. My dealer told me there was nothing else he could do so I’ve been just dealing with it.

One, is the gauge in the house accurate. But assuming it is, I'd guess you have a layering or mixing problem in the water jacket on the OWB. You're pulling 160-ish degree water off the water jacket, but where the control probe is located in the tank it's 180.

Just a wild guess. I've seen it a few times.

I know on our G series we have a recirculation pump on the furnace to ensure flow through the tank is sufficient to maintain even temps.

I agree that the first thing you need to check is the accuracy of your gauges. At the beginning of the heating season I always take a non contact infared heat gun (you can get a cheap one at harbor freight) and shoot the supply and return lines to and from the boiler to make sure I'm not losing heat thru the lines on the journey to the house. And while the reading may not be spot on , it will give you a baseline on heat loss.

Agreed with above, You need a better and accurate handle on more temps. What the boiler is 'set at' might not mean that is the temp of the water leaving the boiler. If it is 'set at' 185, but you only have 165 leaving the boiler, you have a boiler problem and the dealer has more work to do.

One, is the gauge in the house accurate. But assuming it is, I'd guess you have a layering or mixing problem in the water jacket on the OWB. You're pulling 160-ish degree water off the water jacket, but where the control probe is located in the tank it's 180.

Just a wild guess. I've seen it a few times.

Did you ever find a way to correct it? Makes sense. The control probe is up high, pumps are down low.