Ceiling fan in adjacent room.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krgosses

Dec 28, 2014
Vernon, NJ
Hi,

This is my first year using a wood burning insert. I have the elite 33 flush insert from fire place xtraudinair (Travis Industries). I have a couple of questions.
First, should the fan speed of the insert be on high, medium, or low. I have read various info, and I am more confused than before I researched the subject.
Second, the insert is in my living room. I have a ceiling fan in the adjacent room (the ceiling fan is only 3 feet from the doorway of the living room). What direction should the fan be in, clockwise, or counter clockwise. I read that when the ceiling fan is in the same room as the wood insert, the fan should be run in a clock wise motion on low setting (reverse-air being pulled up). However, I can't find an answer to what direction or what speed the ceiling fan should be in when it is located in an adjacent room.
I greatly appreciate any help I can receive on these topics. Thank you for your time and effort!

It depends on your house layout and what you want the air to do. I would either leave the ceiling fan off or If you want the air to keep flowing to other areas of the house then the ceiling fan should be run in reverse to keep the hot air moving along its way. I personally dont have any ceiling fans on my main floor and my hot air gets to the entire house just fine. As to your blower on your insert it depends on alot of factors. I would say in 75% of cases low is the best speed. High or medium is good when you need to rapidly bring up the temp in the house and having a real roaring fire going. Under normal situations the blower on high is taking too much heat from the firebox and does more harm than good.

The ceiling fan direction doesn't make a difference as far as mixing air goes. It's the same blades at the same pitch and speed. However you will feel the current more if the air is being blown straight down vs up to the ceiling and down at the walls of the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.