Ceiling support box cover removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ralpht1053

Nov 3, 2021
Georgia
I bought an old house that used to have a wood heater and need to know if the cover on the square ceiling support box is designed to be removed. It has one screw in the front that I removed, and I can't get it to come down. I wanted to put an 8x6 reducer pipe in and use an old wood heater while we are remodeling but no one seems to know anything about how to remove the cover.The pipe on the roof is 8" double wall and 6" single wall on the heater. Is an 8x6 reducer pipe what I will need? Thanks for any help. I asked around at Home Depot and Ace Hardware but no one seems to know anything. 0311-142515.jpg0311-142533.jpg

I bought an old house that used to have a wood heater and need to know if the cover on the square ceiling support box is designed to be removed. It has one screw in the front that I removed, and I can't get it to come down. I wanted to put an 8x6 reducer pipe in and use an old wood heater while we are remodeling but no one seems to know anything about how to remove the cover.The pipe on the roof is 8" double wall and 6" single wall on the heater. Is an 8x6 reducer pipe what I will need? Thanks for any help. I asked around at Home Depot and Ace Hardware but no one seems to know anything.View attachment 284669View attachment 284668
What cover are you referring to?

The square black box in the picture with the 6" hole in it. Is it removable? This is my first experience with a wood heater and it looks like a cover but it may be part of the ceiling box. I don't really know.

The square black box in the picture with the 6" hole in it. Is it removable? This is my first experience with a wood heater and it looks like a cover but it may be part of the ceiling box. I don't really know.
That is probably what is supporting your chimney. So no I don't think it is removable

Like bholler said, that box is probably supporting the weight of your chimney.
You need to identify the brand or style of chimney you have. Then you'll need a chimney adapter piece to adapt stove pipe to the chimney pipe.

For my pipe, they call it the "stove pipe adapter" or "chimney adapter" and it looks like this... But for your pipe, it will probably look a little different. Yours doesn't look like Supervent to me.

JSC6ASE-SLK_6StovePipeAdapter.jpg

First and foremost, make sure the chimney is clean and safe to use. That includes verifying that nothing has been moved or blown-in against the chimney pipe in the attic.

Thank you all for your help. Looks like the chimney adapter might be the answer. The house was built around 1940 so I have no idea what brand of chimney it is. I took a pic of it but it's dark out here and we are getting ready to call it a day. Thanks again...RT0311-192052.jpg