Ceiling support box cover?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shredit

Nov 10, 2017
Bonner , Idaho
Is the ceiling support box supposed to have a cover in the attic? I had my chimney inspected and multiple fire hazards were found, it was not installed to manufacturer specifications and there was blown-insulation in the ceiling support box. The inspector said there should be a cover that came with the chimney for the box. This inspector is a local wood stove contractor who solely does wood stove installations. My installation was done by a half-ass HVAC company. Multiple clearance discrepancies too. 021A96D1-9BAD-4061-AC66-6A359C117F8F.png

Neither of my duravent square ceiling support boxes have a lid in the attic. Both installed per the manual and both inspected , permitted, and insured.

The fool that sprayed insulation in there is the one that made the mistake. Any fool contractor like a roofer, electrician, hvac guy, could do poor work in the attic that could render your chimney system a hazard.

You can add a cover or even extend the box to the roof deck but it’s not a requirement that I’ve ever seen for duravent. Have you reviewed the installation manual for your brand to see if it was done properly?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mt Bob
There should be an attic insulation shield with a storm collar lid. This is specifically to keep debris out of the support box. No one knows what work will happen on the house in the future or with another home owner if the place sells. Debris could fall in from roof work, insulation addition, etc. The chimney installation directions show this. This is for Duratech. a clueless inspector does not make it right.

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 9.31.44 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 9.34.04 AM.png

Reactions: shredit
There should be an attic insulation shield with a storm collar lid. This is specifically to keep debris out of the support box. No one knows what work will happen on the house in the future or with another home owner if the place sells. Debris could fall in from roof work, insulation addition, etc. The chimney installation directions show this. This is for Duratech. a clueless inspector does not make it right.

View attachment 293280 View attachment 293281
Ah but that is not a ceiling support box. It's some sort of low rider thing. Is there such a diagram for what the OP is asking about?

Maybe I worded it incorrectly. I see it being called a collar or a shield. It gets placed on the open side of the support box. In my single story home the extended ceiling support box opens into the attic where it is currently collecting debris

Maybe I worded it incorrectly. I see it being called a collar or a shield. It gets placed on the open side of the support box. In my single story home the extended ceiling support box opens into the attic where it is currently collecting debris
Yes it should have a cover without question. Whether the manual requires it or not as you found out stuff can get in there without one and that is dangerous.

Ah but that is not a ceiling support box. It's some sort of low rider thing. Is there such a diagram for what the OP is asking about?
Is this what is in your house?

Can you pull the camera back to show the whole thing? Is this a cathedral ceiling support box? What does it look like on the room side?

Here is another duratech manual btw

Screenshot_20220309-171713.png

Looks required to me

Screenshot_20220309-172346.png

Is this what is in your house?

Unlike the diagrams that you and bholler posted, the OP and I have single story installations where the ceiling support box is actually a couple feet tall and does not require a lid as the top of it is above the insulation level.

we need to be careful about when something is a good idea vs. required.

Obviously it is possible for some fool to blow insulation into the box but it is also possible for that same fool to blow a pile of it on top of the little storm collar.

The requirement is to maintain 2” clearance to combustibles. Obviously, this can be done without a lid on the box.

Gotcha. Duravent came out with the square ceiling support box with cover, but I think that was after your install. Otherwise they recommend using the DT-AIS cover because, as noted, chit happens.

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 5.16.41 PM.png

Unlike the diagrams that you and bholler posted, the OP and I have single story installations where the ceiling support box is actually a couple feet tall and does not require a lid as the top of it is above the insulation level.

we need to be careful about when something is a good idea vs. required.

Obviously it is possible for some fool to blow insulation into the box but it is also possible for that same fool to blow a pile of it on top of the little storm collar.

The requirement is to maintain 2” clearance to combustibles. Obviously, this can be done without a lid on the box.
The manual says the support box can be used as an insulation shield but it needs a cover. It is pretty clear.

The storm collar and the cover for support boxes are pitched pretty hard for a reason. It keeps stuff from sitting ontop of it. Honestly the biggest problem I see in the field is mice or squirrels in the attic putting stuff in there.

They need to be covered leaving them open is unsafe.

The manual says the support box can be used as an insulation shield but it needs a cover. It is pretty clear
Highbeam's system went in more than a decade ago, maybe a year after ours? It might even be Simpson Duravent? Ours went in in 2006 and is Simpson. I don't have the manual from that time, but it may have been different. He was pretty particular about installing correctly IIRC.

Highbeam's system went in more than a decade ago. It might even be Simpson Duravent? Ours went in in 2006 and is Simpson. I don't have the manual from that time, but it may have been different. He was pretty particular about installing correctly IIRC.
Regardless of whether it is required in the manual or not I have seen way to many mouse nests or acorns in support boxes to ever let one open.

Regardless of whether it is required in the manual or not I have seen way to many mouse nests or acorns in support boxes to ever let one open.
Bees nests too. Like I noted, chit can happen over time and many attic spaces are not accessed very frequently if at all until there is an issue or more work being done.

Reactions: bholler
Bees nests too. Like I noted, chit can happen over time and many attic spaces are not accessed very frequently if at all until there is an issue or more work being done.

Right and that can all happen above the storm collar in the attic too. I check down in the box and have never seen anything but dust and some black flies.

It sure won’t hurt to put a lid on but I don’t see where it is required. Big difference, we all have our wants.

And enough with the hyperbole, less safe does not always mean unsafe.

Last edited:
Right and that can all happen above the storm collar in the attic too. I check down in the box and have never seen anything but dust and some black flies.

It sure won’t hurt to put a lid on but I don’t see where it is required. Big difference, we all have our wants.
Read the manual I posted a link to. It is required now clearly. It may not have been when you did yours but it is now.

And how will a mouse make a nest above the insulation shield? How will squirrels pile acorns there? I guess bees could.

This is a clear safety issue that every chimney system I have used addresses. And a really simple and cheap one to avoid.

One other thought is I like that if water were to make it past the roof on to the pipe, I want it to run down into the ceiling box where it will drip onto the stove.

It is cheap and easy to pop a storm collar on there.