Ceiling support box identification help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

smookey

Nov 3, 2022
Oregon
We are looking to buy some 6” double wall stove pipe to hook up a new stove but have no early idea what brand ceiling support box we have in our home.

After looking online for visual matches we thought it may be a "Deluxe Ceiling Support 6" (TGDLXS)" from Metal-Fab. But their people decided it was not a match due to it not having a crimped portion of flue pipe extending down. I’m half tempted to buy the Metal-Fab Temp/Guard pipe adapter anyways as it looks so close to my eyes but hearing it’s not their product is making me second guess that choice.

I hope someone here can recognize the shape or the internal connections as at this point I’m not sure what else to try.

Ceiling_Support_outer.jpgCeiling_Support_tab.jpgCeiling_Support_threads.jpgCeiling_Support_up.jpg

Thanks!

Looks like it might be Security, but I am thrown off by the brown bottom plate.. Usually, there is a coupler attached. Is that on the old single-wall pipe?

Can you post a picture of the chimney cap?

Last edited:
Reactions: smookey
Have you been up in the attic to see if there's a label on the upper portion?
Unfortunately the upper portion of this is behind a wall on the second story. I did try getting into the attic to see if I could look down at it but the space looks pretty closed off (see pic). I am considering taking down drywall to expose the upper portion as a last resort though.

Looks like it might be Security, but I am thrown off by the brown bottom plate.. Usually, there is a coupler attached. Is that on the old single-wall pipe?

That looks like a really good match (with the exception of the brown you mentioned). I'll send them a message to see if they are able to say one way or the other. I've attached a new photo that may help explain the brown. Uneducated guess: It looks like the part I had moved to the side is maybe there to install the coupler, and the smaller black cap is "after market" and was meant to cover the hole after the coupler was removed?

I'm not sure what the previous owner had hooked up to this before but a local chimney sweep has said it's 6" double walled. (He also guessed it was a DuraVent product, but I haven't been able to find anything by them that matches.)

I can't get onto the roof (pitch is too steep) but will try to take a photo from the ground when it's light out tomorrow. I'm feeling pretty positive about this Security Chimneys identification though. Thank you both for your help!

20221103_173020.jpg20221103_180416.jpg

Yes, looks like a good chance it's Security.

The blown insulation against the chimney pipe is a red flag. :ZZZ Nothing should touch the pipe. There should have been an attic insulation shield installed to prevent this. All the insulation needs to be cleared away. It could be tinder in a chimney fire.

Yes, looks like a good chance it's Security.
The blown insulation against the chimney pipe is a red flag. :ZZZ Nothing should touch the pipe. There should have been an attic insulation shield installed to prevent this. All the insulation needs to be cleared away. It could be tinder in a chimney fire.
Appreciate the flag raising here. It looks like someone pushed the blown-in away from the pipe a while ago and it's fallen back into place. I'll get up there and install a shield before we try to push any heat through it.

Is that a label on the chimney pipe?
I had the same thought when I saw the image! But it's sadly just a reflection of the illuminated wood. : (

chimney.png

Unless this cap changes the "Security" identification that's still my focus. Unfortunately their info@ email address is kicking back emails so will need to call them on Monday.

Still a maybe. I can't be sure due to the viewing angle. This is where a drone with a camera would be handy. This is what Security chimney caps look like.

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 1.43.48 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-06 at 1.45.50 PM.png

Reactions: smookey