Central Boiler E-classic vs Taylor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

carlsyoung

Sep 9, 2016
Petoskey, MI
I have posted earlier about trying to set up and use an Eko Orlan 80 indoor boiler.I have decided to give up on it and move toward getting an outdoor boiler for a variety of reasons.

I wanted to know if anyone had thoughts on Central Boilers e-classic model or a taylor outdoor boiler.

thanks

Two totally different units. E classic is a downdrafter, Taylor is a very old design updraft unit with tubes, much less efficient.

I love my HeatMaster G100 if you're looking at outdoor downdraft units. Hardy, Classic Edge, Polar are other outdoor downdraft units.

The downdraft units I mentioned would legal for residential use (EPA certified). The Taylor would not be.

Just food for thought: 8 years ago I was going to install an OWB, I did a lot of research and decided on an EKO 60 on the slab where the OWB was going to go and built a shed over it. I am so glad I did or I'd be burning nearly twice the wood and producing smoke.

What I was trying to say- the newer downdraft units are night and day cleaner and more efficient than the old updraft conventional OWB's.
I wouldn't do the smoke thing either.

If you are someone that is interested in efficiency and can do just a little bit of planning to get a year ahead on wood supply than a gasser is for you. A lot of guys on here don't realize that the owb downdraft gassers have come a long way. And for all the guys that preach indoor boilers in an outside shed, two guys on this forum have lost their indoor boilers this year to accidents. Check out heatmaster g series. Cb makes a decent unit but their support is basically non existent.

Reactions: E Yoder
I have my woodshed about 15' from the boiler with gravel inbetween just so if I'm stupid one day and spill hot ashes my whole wood supply doesn't go up in smoke.

If you are someone that is interested in efficiency and can do just a little bit of planning to get a year ahead on wood supply than a gasser is for you. A lot of guys on here don't realize that the owb downdraft gassers have come a long way. And for all the guys that preach indoor boilers in an outside shed, two guys on this forum have lost their indoor boilers this year to accidents. Check out heatmaster g series. Cb makes a decent unit but their support is basically non existent.

That's essentially a copy of an Tarm/EKO/Econoburn in an enclosure with the exception of not being pressurized so water chemistry will need to be monitored/maintained. At a quick review it appears to be well built and uses refractory for the nozzle not steel like the early Central units. I would review their performance history (no idea how new they are) and compare performance and cost to the established indoor units.
Econoburn offered something similar (insulated steel enclosure), not sure if they still do.
You will likely at least want a roof for your firewood so to not have to load/clean in the rain/wind. At this point to me you might as well build walls also.

Last edited:
That's essentially a copy of an Tarm/EKO/Econoburn in an enclosure with the exception of not being pressurized so water chemistry will need to be monitored/maintained. At a quick review it appears to be well built and uses refractory for the nozzle not steel like the early Central units. I would review their performance history (no idea how new they are) and compare performance and cost to the established indoor units.
Econoburn offered something similar (insulated steel enclosure), not sure if they still do.
You will likely at least want a roof for your firewood so to not have to load/clean in the rain/wind. At this point to me you might as well build walls also.

G series units have been on the market since 2010or 2011. Yes water chemistry needs to be tested every year and the company covers the cost of this, just send them a test bottle( supplied by the manufacturer for free) once per year. Take a look at the EPA outdoor hydronic phase 2 list. The g series 200 came out at 75% efficient when averaged between the 4 different burn rates, actually got 79% at one of the burn rates. I don't think econoburn went through the EPA phase 2 testing so I don't know if they can sell the owb units.