Central Boiler reputation and do they build good boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rschoensta

Hearth Supporter
Jan 5, 2008
Northern NY
Central Boiler takes it's fair sharing of bashing here it seems to me.
Assuming the charges are true with respect to making misleading statements in the past about the efficiency of their boilers and the amount of pollution caused by them, I am wondering whether or not they make good quality boilers - i.e. durable and relatively low maintenance.

They are I gather the leading manufacturer of outside wood boilers.
I assume that is for a reason.
I know people who are happy with them.

Now that they are being forced to produce a relatively high efficiency boiler, I wonder if, whatever the truth of the claims regarding efficiency, if someone can at least expect a well built boiler.

I know the E2300 is an untested model, so there will probably be issues that crop up there in that particular design.
But central has 20 years experience in making boilers so they should have a number of the construction basics down.

I have read some comments here by professionals who have had to come in and help out owners of Central Boilers.
Are these quality of construction issues or operational issues?

I am wondering this because I have to consider the E2300 for the use I want.
A closer reading of proposed NYS regs shows that the rules for commercial boilers are less stringent than for residential and the E2300 would meet them.
On paper anyway the E2300 looks pretty good.

I think they do make a decent quality product and they seem to have held up - since they are the largest out there, I would assume they have the $$ for equipment and materials to build them right.

Any perceived bashing comes from what some consider their short sightedness in leading the industry.......they lobbied for the last 2 decades to continue building the dirtier stuff, while the same attention could have gone into cleaner models. No doubt they ( and the industry in general) tend to over-sell their products......that's marketing!

As to the new model, it may be great....I hope it is. But even the largest makers in the world (Tarm, etc.) have had new problems crop up with high efficiency boilers. It is a lot of money to invest, and if I were looking to buy one I would try to bank on one of two things:
1. The experience of people with the exact unit (hard to do with new unit and technology).
2. A solid warranty which I would read carefully to make certain it is not fluff.

Another variable is your use of the product. If you intend to use it at higher rates of output or with extra storage then many of the corrosion problems may be sidestepped. But even an efficient boiler that goes into "idle" mode often can create problems.

In terms of "making boilers" keep in mind that Central and other OWB makers make units which are non-pressurized. This means they are not technically boilers and not subject to any of the codes and standards for boiler construction. All these vessels have to do is hold water...nothing else. That is not, in itself, a high standard of construction. Most indoor boilers - or pressurized models - have to conform to ASME or similar construction and fabrication standards....which are TOUGH. Very Tough.

Putting that in a more real world scenario, how do we know an OWB weld is really thick and deep? If there is 1/32" of weld , it will hold water!

So check if they pressure test them at the factory - at what pressure - for how long? Do they have welders who are certified for pressure vessels, or do they hire anyone who can lay a bead? Others here probably know much more about this stuff than I do, but there is a lot to it.

All in all, if I were shopping for a clean OWB, I would seriously look at that Central...I was impressed seeing it at the loggers show.

Status
Not open for further replies.