Century heat FW3000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gibbonfd2

Jul 19, 2017
Nebraska
Recently purchased a used CH FW3000 the cast baffle in it was toast aea302cf885e451c95233f7369975705.jpg.
So here is my question either I buy a replacement vermiculite baffle from SBI for $70 or have seen where some of you have built a baffle from fire bricks. What would you guys do? Do you put the insulation blank back in on top of the vermiculite or fire brick. Thanks for the help guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine has a hollow steel baffle that is part of the secondary air system. The back part of the baffle is made of firebrick.

I think I would use a vermiculite baffle in your case. I'd probably lay kaowool along the edges in order to keep as much smoke flowing over the tubes as possible.

Mine has a hollow steel baffle that is part of the secondary air system. The back part of the baffle is made of firebrick.

I think I would use a vermiculite baffle in your case. I'd probably lay kaowool along the edges in order to keep as much smoke flowing over the tubes as possible.
Interesting. Mind me asking you to explain your thoughts on the kaowool along the edges? SBI discontinued the blankets on their more recent offerings. I ask because I feel like I could get more usable heat out of mine, and considered using a blanket to slow down the flow up the chimney.

Sure. Century/CFM doesn't/didn't make high priced stoves. I picked up mine on clearance, but after tax it was $242 new and out the door. They had major cost constraints trying to keep them at their price point. Probably made for 100 and sold to Lowe's for 150?

In my stove, this showed where baffle and firebrick met. This joint had obvious leaks where smoke could flow up through the baffle. My stove was small, and I needed every bit of heat and efficiency out of it. I started poking kaowool into all the little gaps as it would allow the firebrick and metal to expand at their respective rates. I also had the tube that preheated air running from the back of the baffle, in the middle of the firebox, straight out the back of the stove. I added insulation above this also as had a leak around it, and I figured I'd have secondaries kick off a bit earlier if I could raise the temp of the air bit.

My Englander has a fiber board baffle with gaps around the edges. I pushed kaowool into the gaps along the wall there too.

These ideas seemed to have worked. I didn't see the smoke being pulled up between the firebricks anymore.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
PE's floating baffle has kaowool batting on the sides to prevent leakage too.

Sure. Century/CFM doesn't/didn't make high priced stoves. I picked up mine on clearance, but after tax it was $242 new and out the door. They had major cost constraints trying to keep them at their price point. Probably made for 100 and sold to Lowe's for 150?

In my stove, this showed where baffle and firebrick met. This joint had obvious leaks where smoke could flow up through the baffle. My stove was small, and I needed every bit of heat and efficiency out of it. I started poking kaowool into all the little gaps as it would allow the firebrick and metal to expand at their respective rates. I also had the tube that preheated air running from the back of the baffle, in the middle of the firebox, straight out the back of the stove. I added insulation above this also as had a leak around it, and I figured I'd have secondaries kick off a bit earlier if I could raise the temp of the air bit.

My Englander has a fiber board baffle with gaps around the edges. I pushed kaowool into the gaps along the wall there too.

These ideas seemed to have worked. I didn't see the smoke being pulled up between the firebricks anymore.
This is great. I've been thinking the same thing, regarding leakage around the sides and back of the baffle. Any idea where to get small quantities of kaowool? I had surplus from my install of my liner, but it got discarded as waste when I wasn't paying attention. All the clutter!

I got mine from a local stove shop. I had some from a liner install too.

I don't see why mineral will wouldn't work, it's just not as fluffy so you'd probably need a stick to shove it in tight spots.

Does anyone have a picture of the inside of there stove I want to see how the baffle sits above the air tubes and the spacing thanks guy

Does anyone have a picture of the inside of there stove I want to see how the baffle sits above the air tubes and the spacing thanks guy

Hard to get a picture that'll make any sense. No matter, if you are using a solid baffle, it should sit tight to the back and sides. All the flow should go out and up right above door. I measured the space in the front of my stove, which is very similar to yours, it's 2.5 inches from the front of the baffle, horizontally, to the deflector plate. I personally think 1.5 to 2" would be better, but I didn't engineer and test the stove.

Reactions: gibbonfd2