ceramic glass is etched

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vixster

Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2010
Rockland Co , ny
HEY Everyone!!! Yay, another season. I'm doing my first break in for the season. 2 more to go. I have a cast iron Shelburne from Hearthstone. The manual says to do a break in every season. oh well.

Question: the ceramic glass seems to be etched. How do I get it clear again? And what causes this?
Thanks

It’s caused from running long periods of time without cleaning the glass. It’s not reversible. It’s very important to wipe the glass down periodically. The newer cast stoves from Hearthstone have completely omitted break in fires from the manual, including the shelburn.

Try lemon juice or vinegar . . . you might luck out and it may be more of a haze than an etching that you are seeing. I thought I had etching with my glass and after a few attempts with various items and substances (i.e. cleaners, Magic Eraser, etc.) a few attempts with the lemon juice (or maybe it was vinegar -- I forget which) cleaned up the haze.

The newer cast stoves from Hearthstone have completely omitted break in fires from the manual, including the shelburn.

Thanks, do you think they changed the material a bit, or they realized it was unnecessary?

Try lemon juice or vinegar . . . you might luck out and it may be more of a haze than an etching that you are seeing. I thought I had etching with my glass and after a few attempts with various items and substances (i.e. cleaners, Magic Eraser, etc.) a few attempts with the lemon juice (or maybe it was vinegar -- I forget which) cleaned up the haze.

Thanks, I would have thought this would effect the glass its self, by taking off some coating...

I have heard that if soot is not being cleaned from the fireplace/stove glass on a regular basis, that it might become „baked“ into the glass and be very hard to remove.

I am on the paranoid side, cleaning up the glass between every burn (on the other hand I have not yet had a burn longer than 12 hours straight).

Maybe try a baking soda solution and swipe it against the glass with a cloth?

I use 50/50 vinegar/water, and a scouring pad (one that is safe for use on a ceramic range top, so it won't scratch the glass.)

Reactions: myth83
I hadn't cleaned my glass for a season, it was pretty bad. Someone here recommended non-fuming oven cleaner. Worked well!

These are all good cleaning agents. Nothing will remove etching though.

HEY Everyone!!! Yay, another season. I'm doing my first break in for the season. 2 more to go. I have a cast iron Shelburne from Hearthstone. The manual says to do a break in every season. oh well.

Question: the ceramic glass seems to be etched. How do I get it clear again? And what causes this?
Thanks
Here's a video I made on how to polish the etched glass and make it clear again. It takes about 1 hour or less to restore the glass to near perfect clarity, but you do have to remove the glass from the door.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: begreen
Great demo. Thanks for posting. Looks like the front burn tube is getting ready for replacement.

Last edited:
Here's a video I made on how to polish the etched glass and make it clear again. It takes about 1 hour or less to restore the glass to near perfect clarity, but you do have to remove the glass from the door.

Cheers

What a fantastic video and demonstration. Thank you!!! I'm going to try 50/50 vinegar first. Thanks again everyone!

Thanks

My stove always has lots of ash and other buildup on the ceramic glass and I have always regularly used plain water on a damp (not soaked) paper towel in combination with very fine (0000) steel wool to remove any residue. I am not sure if it is recommended or not by the manufacturer, but it has worked for me for years. The glass is never hot (warm at best) when I clean it. Still looks great after 12 years of use.

@Hullspeed: Would you recommend very fine steel wool with 50/50 vinegar/water? before I go your route?
Thanks

@Hullspeed: Would you recommend very fine steel wool with 50/50 vinegar/water? before I go your route?
Thanks
Steel wool will help with soot and tar, but if the glass is etched you have to have something hard enough to cut glass and fine enough to polish it clear - so it has to be cerium oxide powder or some other glass cutting agent.