Ceramic log repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stegman

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2011
Sterling, MA
Picked up a new [used] gas stove yesterday, but made the mistake of not removing the ceramic logs before loading it into the truck. When I got home 86 miles later, I discovered they had become dislodged and knocked around a bit. They didn't break, but a couple of them have chipped, leaving less-than-realistic looking white spots.

My question: What, if anything, can I use to touch up these white spots on the logs? I was thinking of maybe just good old brown/black/gray magic marker.

Like Dave said, Hi-temp stove paint works best, & I've used it in the past. Make sure it's COMPLETELY dry before you light the stove, tho.
I HAVE had it ignite if the repaired spot was directly in contact with the flames... If any logs have broken into larger pieces, I've managed to reattach/repair them with longer drywall screws. You have to use a manual screwdriver, tho, NOT a powered driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.