Ceramic tile question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Stanley

Feeling the Heat
Dec 31, 2007
Southern ME
chickfarm.com
Would it work out ok to use masonry mortar mix to put ceramic tile on a plywood sub-floor? It's an area in a barn that will be used for poultry processing. Not particularly interested in appearance, but do want it to last. Am trying to make use of what I have on hand to make a room that can be hosed-down. Floor drain is in place. Thanks!!

Not recommended on a number of levels. Tiling directly on plywood is not recommended. Mortar mix is not recommended. How firm is the plywood? You don't want to tile if there is ANY bounce in the floor. You will also have significant freeze/thaw issues in ME.
I would be surprised if it lasts a year.

Johnbridge.com is a great source for all things tiling.

Every time I try and go cheap with tile thinset I have problems. I would use the best thinset you can get and add the latex liquid to it for an even stronger mix. This is cheap insurance with the amount of labor involved. If there is any deflection in the subfloor, I would add a layer of durarock and lay that in a bed of thinset. You will never have tile or grout cracks then.
Doug

The "hosed down" bit will probably guaranty failure even if done with the best of materials and technique. How many swimming pools have you seen with a plywood bottom?

I would think only a concrete substrate would survive hosing down on any kind of continuing basis.

WhitePine said:
The short answer is no. See the link.

http://www.creativeceramicandmarble.com/floors.htm

Also, post your question to the John Bridge forums. They are the hearth.com of tile setting.

http://www.johnbridge.com

Although the short answer is no, it CAN be done successfully. The reason I agreed to the "short" answer is because you really need to know what you're doing to stick tile directly to plywood. In fact, Whit pine gave you the url to my floors page. On the same website, if you go to my FAQ page, you'll see the specs for installing over plywood. As I say on that page, though-- shortcut any one of those specs, and you can kiss your floor good-bye, sooner more than later.

THIS is why the short answer is no. For most people, you'd b better off to go over cement board, Ditra, or mudset. I even know alot of pros I wouldn't trust setting over plywood.

As for the hosing down part-- unless you can integrate a waterproofing membrane with that drain, you're asking for big problems, even using the Ditra or cement board.

Ok, Great!! Got an answer. The answer is NO!! Thanks to all. I love this site :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.