CFL's really any better?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At last count I have over 40 CFL's in/around my house and haven't had any "burn out" yet. I saved the old bulbs so I can take my CFL's with me if I ever move. I like them in the bathroom especially since when I flick them on in the middle of the night of morning they take ~30 seconds to reach full brightness, so it gives my eyes a better chance to adjust. All the shades in my house are frosted glass so I use the majority of the twisted type, but also have the covered ones (look like incandescents) in the bathrooms or wherever they are seen. I bet no one that has visited even know they are CFL's. Unfortunately the people who can least afford to burn incandescents are the same people who won't/can't spend the extra money for their initial purchase, even if they know the amount of money they could be saving.

Saw this post on theoildrum.com and thought I would cut and paste it here.

Puts some real numbers to the issue.

"Coal power plants in the US release about 40 metric tons of mercury every year. That is 4 x 10^10 milligrams of mercury, equivalent to breaking 8 x 10^9 CF bulbs every year. That's 8 billion bulbs. If using CF instead of incandescent bulbs saves 1% of our annual electrical use, then we will have displaced the release of 4 x 10^8 milligrams of mercury. If we can manage not to break more than 80 million CF bulbs a year, we come out ahead with regards to mercury release. I think this criticism of Pelosi is unenlightened."

Sandor said:
Saw this post on theoildrum.com and thought I would cut and paste it here.

Puts some real numbers to the issue.

"Coal power plants in the US release about 40 metric tons of mercury every year. That is 4 x 10^10 milligrams of mercury, equivalent to breaking 8 x 10^9 CF bulbs every year. That's 8 billion bulbs. If using CF instead of incandescent bulbs saves 1% of our annual electrical use, then we will have displaced the release of 4 x 10^8 milligrams of mercury. If we can manage not to break more than 80 million CF bulbs a year, we come out ahead with regards to mercury release. I think this criticism of Pelosi is unenlightened."

Good numbers Sandor. That is the "proof in the pudding" I was looking for. Now I can consciously beat the CFL drum.

Our first CFL from Home Depot's 4 pack just died. I put it in on 2/19/06. The halogen it replaced was over 3 yrs. old, no mercury, no electronics. As noted, CFL's might be ok if they are of the original Osram quality, but I am concerned that the current crop is Chinese crap, in which case, the net environmental effect could be negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.