CFM-FW240007 versus Englander 13NCH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DamienBricka

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have a small stove the CFM-FW240007 that I bought to burn scrap wood over the years. I decided to start burning wood to heat my house this year. (So it will be my primary source of heat). I am not sure of the efficiency of the stove but it heats my house very well.
My question is as follow if I were to upgrade to the Englander 13NCH will I save money over the long run?
I am aware that their may be better stoves on the market but at this point money is an issue.

Last edited:
That little CFM is a fairly modern design, so I don't think a "crossgrade" to the 13 would be a big deal....other than if the firebox size or actual wood load was larger.

I'd say keep the stove you have for now while you decide how big your woodpile can get and what it takes to really heat your home. Then, if needed, you can upgrade the size and type to what your budget can manage.

When you want to start heating with wood you would usually look for stove that is large enough for overnight burns. That would be a stove with a firebox of 2 cu ft or larger. Another option is a catalytic stove but those are usually more expensive. As webbie said, the firebox size of both stoves is similar. You will not really gain much by getting the NC-13. If budget is an issue I would keep my eyes open for an used stove. Check if it has a firebox between 2 and 2.5 cu ft and you can always ask for opinions here.

i'd say the same. the century "007" is a solid stove , basically the same size. i dont think there is much of an " output gain" to be had between the two.

both are good units which will do essentially the same job

Last edited:
Check floor requirements for any stove you choose. The Century requires Rof .8 or so if I remember right which isn't a lightweight, but others require more. I was looking at this stove from TSC:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...with-blower-medium-epa-certified?cm_vc=-10005

It sells for $599.

It requires more R than the Century and requires more hearth in front of it. However, it can be set closer to the wall and has a 2cf firebox so it might be a good trade for your situation.

With a good hardwood the little Century will serve you well. You will have coals in the morning below the ash to relight with.

One of the corners they cut in many cheap stoves is bottom shielding. Add to this short pedestals and you have higher hearth requirements.

And I am convinced that sometimes the testing company just flat screws up. But retesting is something like twenty grand. My 30-NC that is so notorious for high hearth requirements is cruising at the moment at 700 and the bricks under it are 91 degrees. With the short six inch legs. It now ships with nine inch legs. The room is 82 degrees.

But since the clearances are published, they have to be followed.

Begreen you wrote : "One of the corners they cut in many cheap stoves is bottom shielding. Add to this short pedestals and you have higher hearth requirements."

Please explain what you mean as i do not understand what you are trying to say.

Some of the more expensive stoves have only ember protection required under the stove. The Century, Englander, US Stove, etc all require hearths with substantial insulation. This doesn't always matter, as my Englander is sitting on a concrete slab, but is a factor with the Century as mine is on a combustible floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.