"chain method" locust and small oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Scrounged a locust up the road that was cut 24-32" So I cut it to 12"-16" . Yesterday I wrapped most of it up to split. Then threw extra pieces on top wedged between bottom pieces. Most of this is actually 2 layers. This worked quite well, definitely worth the set up time.

Meanwhile....

Kids loaded, moved and stacked this small redoak from the woods mostly by themselves. They call it "outdoor legos":)

Started raining as we stacked the locust, but got 'er done. Glad to get the yard cleaned up before today's wet snow mess.

Good-looking crew you have there, OB! Is it me or is that some Sass mixed in on the top pic?

Reactions: osagebow
I am not reading anymore posts from people without snow.:mad:;lol

Looks like the crew had a good time.

Good-looking crew you have there, OB! Is it me or is that some Sass mixed in on the top pic?
Thanks! Maybe that one small stick. Have tons laying around. A lot of the BL was "ant funk punk" though. :cool:That might be what you see.

Last edited:
Great to have the helpers like that osagebow. I still miss our two sons helping and they've been gone for almost 50 years now!

That's a good looking crew you've got there, sir.

I just enjoyed seeing pictures of the bare (non snow-covered) ground!

I am not reading anymore posts from people without snow.:mad:;lol

Looks like the crew had a good time.

Reply as much as nesassary. Everyone's fine. IMAG0200.jpg

I used two tow straps to get it upright.

Be a good idea to get the help some gloves or you might lose them. LOL

Whitepine2
Yeah, they are like me...they hate wearing gloves. Shop steward ( mom),wasn't on site. :)

Went down to :(::F last night!

Reactions: Jags
Need gloves for bl. The warden should have been there. That's some nasty splinters.

My 2 boys are 3 & 5 . Looks like a fun father son time in the yard. I can't wait until they are as helpful as yours.

Thaks tigger- they look rarin' to go in your profile pic. Saw a post where a guy put an ax in a vise, held kindling on the blade while kid hit it with a mallet. Biggun' there might could do it!;)

My 2 boys are 3 & 5 . Looks like a fun father son time in the yard. I can't wait until they are as helpful as yours.

+1

My 5 YO brings in firewood. The 3 YO has other chores but isn't big enough to handle splits.

When we had the second boy a family friend asked me if I wanted a girl. I told her, "No. One will split, the other will stack and I'll run the chainsaw." People think I'm nuts.

Nice to have the help. That locust always gives me a few splinters.

I make both my girls help stack. I do the spliting they stack. I end up stacking hlf of it but they are learning. And yes gloves are a must. I have about 10 sets of gloves spread around the house. The kids have 8 of them. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.