Chains in the field!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Ok, how do you carry your extra chains in the field? I have 6- 28 in and 4- 20 in need a good way to transport without cutting seats or just laying them in the bed.

I carry stuff in a five gallon bucket. Gloves,files,chains,oil and screw driver for carb adjustment etc.

I bought some sandwich containers (similar to tupperware) and put the chains in them with some transmission fluid thats how I store them when not using then transmission fluid is one of the finest grades of oil you can get but the containers can keep the chains safe and lubricated dont buy cheap ones

or a small tool box with all the tools you need to fix it while your out there, cause i really dont like coming back 50 miles for a screw driver or socket for a plug or something i didnt think of. becuase its always something you dont think of or you would have thought of it!

I use one of the large size gate-mouth bags. Nice heavy zipper and some pockets inside and out. Generally available for between $12-25. Holds all of my stuff. Wedges, screnches, grease, tools, quart bottle of bar oil and extra mix oil.

I always keep the original box and just put it in a sandwich zip lock bag.

smokinj said:
Ok, how do you carry your extra chains in the field? I have 6- 28 in and 4- 20 in need a good way to transport without cutting seats or just laying them in the bed.

I carry extra chains in the bottom of my chainsaw case. The old timers around here who consider chain breaks "new fangled" often have a old metal lunchbox dedicated for extra chains.

aandabooks said:
I use one of the large size gate-mouth bags. Nice heavy zipper and some pockets inside and out. Generally available for between $12-25. Holds all of my stuff. Wedges, screnches, grease, tools, quart bottle of bar oil and extra mix oil.
Went with this, good idea! Holds all the gear

LEES WOOD-CO said:
Military surplus ammo can. Air and water tight. Wrench, tools, files,chains and spare plugs.
Now you reply!lol my dad has a few of them.Will through them in the mix. Better off now then i was seats cut and sliding around in the back just not a good idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.