Chainsaw Advice please...UPDATE WITH PICS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are right in that 50cc is the best all around size. Dolmar, Husky, and Stihl all offer good saws in that size. But I'll favor the Dolmar 5105 for all out performance and price.

Don't buy anythink with 'Ranch' or 'Farm' in the name

Husq makes some cool looking dirtbikes. Stihl makes saws.

So we can get a feel for the current saw you run, we need a pic of your wife holding it, you know, just to see how big the saw really is.

My current stihl killers

Attachments

• 102611192137.jpg
    102611192137.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 514
HittinSteel said:
My current stihl killers

We match up well! :cheese:

Attachments

• caddy.jpg
    caddy.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 502
  • miss thing.jpg
    miss thing.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 557
  • baby.jpg
    baby.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 491
HittinSteel said:
I need a 3120XP !!!!!

You can only bring 3 saws....lol

As others have said, a 50cc saw is great for all around firewood cutting and limbing. Anything over that is simply overkill unless you are going for 20"+ rounds all day long. I typically never cut anything bigger than a 16" round anyway so its perfect for me. That said, If you are sold on Stihl, definately go with the 261 over the 291. Im not a Stihl guy but if I was, id own a 261.

If I had it all to do over again, I would have bought the MS261 (260 at the time) instead of my MS250. I just didn't know 8yrs ago that I would be cutting as much wood as I am now--but again I've become more wood obsessed and more OCD w/getting ahead. Comes with hanging out on this forum. :)

So this summer I deperately needed a bigger saw to get thru the oak that I was cutting. That's when I got my MS362 w/25" bar. I now use the MS250 for just smaller, more occasional cutting, limbing, etc. My recommendation is to get the Pro series MS261.

HittinSteel said:
My current stihl killers
Have you ever ran a Dan Henry Power Ported saw before? It would completely change what size saw you think you need.
I have a Dan Henry PP346. It will spank any 60cc saw from any mfg and probably hold its own against a 70cc. Thats why my next size saw is 80cc. I had to go that much bigger over the 346's 45cc to justify another saw.

HittinSteel said:
I need a 3120XP !!!!!

LOL That's what I'm slowly saving for.

Thistle said:
HittinSteel said:
I need a 3120XP !!!!!

Unless you need to pull a 5' bar in a mill I see no need. A Ported 395 with a baileys 100cc P&C would be way cheaper, way lighter, and probably way faster.

wkpoor said:
HittinSteel said:
My current stihl killers
Have you ever ran a Dan Henry Power Ported saw before? It would completely change what size saw you think you need.
I have a Dan Henry PP346. It will spank any 60cc saw from any mfg and probably hold its own against a 70cc. Thats why my next size saw is 80cc. I had to go that much bigger over the 346's 45cc to justify another saw.

lol, Sure you got a solid saw, but in no way is even a 60cc saw a strong saw. 70cc 372 would wipe that 346's butt! ;-)

wkpoor said:
Thistle said:
HittinSteel said:
I need a 3120XP !!!!!

Unless you need to pull a 5' bar in a mill I see no need. A Ported 395 with a baileys 100cc P&C would be way cheaper, way lighter, and probably way faster.

You dont spend a lot of time in the milling section. :cheese:

smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:
Thistle said:
HittinSteel said:
I need a 3120XP !!!!!

Didn't I qualify unless your milling. BTW I know a guy who mills with a Ported 7900 and spanks. Saw it at a GTG a couple yrs ago so I know it doesn't take big CCs.

wkpoor said:
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:
Thistle said:
HittinSteel said:
I need a 3120XP !!!!!

Didn't I qualify unless your milling. BTW I know a guy who mills with a Ported 7900 and spanks. Saw it at a GTG a couple yrs ago so I know it doesn't take big CCs.

Not saying anything about a 7900...Great cross cut saw, but in the big wood its just not going to last long. Bottom line not much different than a 460 and sure dont want to strap mine on a big one. ;-) And no you said 60 inch bar most mlling done around 36-47 inch bar. 60 inch is a very very long day even with a double ender 120cc's

Reactions: FrankMA
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:
Thistle said:
HittinSteel" date="1319845100 said:
I need a 3120XP !!!!!

Not saying anything about a 7900...Great cross cut saw, but in the big wood its just not going to last long. Bottom line not much different than a 460 and sure dont want to strap mine on a big one. ;-) And no you said 60 inch bar most mlling done around 36-47 inch bar. 60 inch is a very very long day even with a double ender 120cc's

Jay strap on a big one?????

O i see i must have miss read it the first go round ;)

Reactions: smokinj
southbound said:
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:
Thistle" date="1319866665 said:
HittinSteel" date="1319845100 said:
I need a 3120XP !!!!!

Jay strap on a big one?????

O i see i must have miss read it the first go round ;)

lol, you can bet if I am strapping its Big! :cheese: Hog leg if you will.... :lol:

Somewhere I've got pics of one of my GTGs where a guy brought a 660 with a 5' bar. It actually did real good pulling it. Talk about a mountain of curlys wow! I was slightly exaggerating on the 60" bar. But just saying other than milling what would a guy need a 3120 for.

wkpoor said:
Somewhere I've got pics of one of my GTGs where a guy brought a 660 with a 5' bar. It actually did real good pulling it. Talk about a mountain of curlys wow! I was slightly exaggerating on the 60" bar. But just saying other than milling what would a guy need a 3120 for.

To compete with jay's 880! Otherwise I'd personally want a 390XP

wkpoor said:

See smokin's avatar, lol.

HittinSteel said:
wkpoor said:

I looked at new ones in the Spring.One set up like I wanted (28" B/C, full wrap handlebar etc) was $1300 with local sales tax.I couldnt swing that much at the time but soon found a great older 288XP (1988 or 1989,one of the early ones with all metal chainbrake/handguard & clutch cover) on Ebay in June.Very strong runner with 180 +PSI.Put a new HP air filter system,28" B/C,very good used OEM full wrap handlebar on it & I got $650 & change total invested. Its exactly what I was looking for.

One thing I've noticed is both the 288XP & newer 390XP (both same displacement of 5.4cubic inch/88cc 6.5HP) run around 13000 RPM wide open when stock,where as the older 2100/2101XP (my 2nd choice for a used saw) & 3120's are only around 105000. Quite a difference when milling or crosscutting the big ones.

Thistle said:
HittinSteel said:
wkpoor said:

I looked at new ones in the Spring.One set up like I wanted (28" B/C, full wrap handlebar etc) was $1300 with local sales tax.I couldnt swing that much at the time but soon found a great older 288XP (1988 or 1989,one of the early ones with all metal chainbrake/handguard & clutch cover) on Ebay in June.Very strong runner with 180 +PSI.New HP air filter system,28" B/C,very good used OEM full wrap handlebar & I got $650 & change total in it. Its exactly what I was looking for.

One thing I've noticed is both the 288XP & newer 390XP (both same displacement of 5.4cubic inch/88cc 6.5HP) run around 13000 RPM wide open when stock,where as the older 2100/2101XP (my 2nd choice for a used saw) & 3120's are only around 105000. Quite a difference when milling or crosscutting the big ones.

The new 880 with the ss mufflers run 11,500 stock(thats what i got). Muffler modd is a little more complex but 12800-13200 pretty easy to get. That with 120cc's your still watching paint dry on the monsters! (even worse if you flood it) :lol:

HittinSteel said:
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/grd/2674597269.html

:bug: Woah.I've never seen a case big enough to hold a 390.Thinking their Sawbox will take a 372 at the most. I'll bet that saw's gone in 3 days tops.Helluva deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.