Chainsaw and other dump finds!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
so, pulled apart the Poulan since i could not get any combustion at all. so far, i like the way this saw is constructed. not sure of the year range.

anyway, pulled the top off, and noticed the fuel line was off the nipple. touched it, and it broke apart! totally aged. opened up the gas tank and emptied the gas. the filter was rolling around, and the brittle line was in pieces.

so, clearly the problem is fuel! now will have to locate a fuel line and maybe new filter. is this just a generic situation?

i think this can be a nice 14" vintage saw once fixed.

the echo: need to track down the spool assembly. but first gonna order an aftermarket carb. package which will include all the missing fuel lines. need to make sure it will fire up before doing anymore. looks likes a nice lightweight trimmer.

Jackssmallengines.com has parts. It my go-to place for parts.

Reactions: JimBear
maybe the fuel line has turned brittle due to E10 fuel that it was not made for. have to get fuel lines that can handle ethanol. wonder if the whole carb unit needs replacing.

maybe the fuel line has turned brittle due to E10 fuel that it was not made for. have to get fuel lines that can handle ethanol. wonder if the whole carb unit needs replacing.
I would guess that it does. I doubt the fuel line is proprietary, you should be able to find something equivalent to OEM online or in a parts store.

so, pulled apart the Poulan since i could not get any combustion at all. so far, i like the way this saw is constructed. not sure of the year range.

anyway, pulled the top off, and noticed the fuel line was off the nipple. touched it, and it broke apart! totally aged. opened up the gas tank and emptied the gas. the filter was rolling around, and the brittle line was in pieces.

so, clearly the problem is fuel! now will have to locate a fuel line and maybe new filter. is this just a generic situation?

i think this can be a nice 14" vintage saw once fixed.

the echo: need to track down the spool assembly. but first gonna order an aftermarket carb. package which will include all the missing fuel lines. need to make sure it will fire up before doing anymore. looks likes a nice lightweight trimmer.
If your near 495/rt9 there is Boston Lawnmower they have what you need..or out in Leominster there is Dupuis Power.
https://www.bostonlawnmower.com/
Dupuis Power

thx for the parts tips. for the echo, looking on amazon, there seem to be low cost options to purchase a full carb replacement kit that includes everything (and more) for about $15. reviews seem good for many. i only need to get the fuel lines and gas cap to see if it starts and runs. if good, i would then invest in a speed reel for the head. i can probably dig up a free shield at the metal pile from another trimmer.

for the chainsaw, the fuel line from the tank to the carb has to be replaced. no reason to think the line from the carb to the spark plug is any better. that will require deeper surgery to access.

Bring the old fuel line in when you go to get a replacement ..

Bring the old fuel line in when you go to get a replacement ..
whats left of it! good opportunity to understand more about these fuel lines since i've never replaced any in the past. they often look the same, but perhaps color coded. echo has a fuel DIY kit for about $13 with most of what i need except the gas cap.

i'm also going to keep my eye on the scrap pile for parts as well. amazing how many parts are just lying there on that pile (wheels, handles, bolts, you name it!).

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus
whats left of it! good opportunity to understand more about these fuel lines since i've never replaced any in the past. they often look the same, but perhaps color coded. echo has a fuel DIY kit for about $13 with mont of what i need except the gas cap.

i'm also going to keep my eye on the scrap pile for parts as well. amazing how many parts are just lying there on that pile (wheels, handles, bolts, you name it!).

There are different grades/classes of fuel line depending on what you need.

called echo. they are going to send me a copy of the owners manual. they told me it was manufactured in march 2012. doesn't look liker it was used much. gonna concentrate on the fuel shortcomings before buying a new head. might be able to salvage an alternative shaft shield. i see these retail for about $180, so could be a great score.

the mott might be sold. any questions about it before it leaves? i'll use the proceeds to invest in getting the ryobi and echo back to working condition.

no pic, but grabbed a echo es 1000 blower body of the pile today. i needed some parts for the trimmer, so grabbed it to see. the trimmer needs a gas cap and three part fuel tank lines. this has them, so may be able to avoid any costs to get it running. will still need a reel and shield.

Poulan up and running! thank you youtube videos!! with tube videos, i feel we are in a golden age for DIYers.

took a while to get the fuel line threaded. ended up having to take off the flywheel. very nice to getting it running. the bar has some burn marks. gonna work next on the bar side later, maybe pick up a new bar, do more dismantling and deep cleaning.

like to know the vintage, maybe serial number look-up?

echo blower body starts. might strip it down and ebay the parts i don't need to help pay for other gear improvements.

i don't have to go to the hardware/dealer anymore, just shop the scrap pile!

Reactions: duramaxman05
looks like husqvarna manages Poulan now. popular joined with electrolux, then husqvarna took over. gonna take my saw too my local husky store to get some info.

Good Luck
You will most likely get the deer in the headlight look
www.acersinternet,com
try that site for chainsaw info,save you the wasted trip to the Husky dealer

my husky dealer is super close. i stopped in, but they actually do not carry the Poulan line. home depot might, sears might.

spoke to Poulan, this model started in 1974; mine is a 1982.

Poulan is doing well with the new fuel line. added fuel stabilizer. ordered a new air filter. so far in this for about $10.

Echo is also doing well. bought an echo fuel system kit. that and the gas cap, fresh treated fuel, and it started right up. i like the e-z start short pull. orders a new string shield from ebay and a speed feed spool from home depot. into this for about $50; seems to run like new.

grabbed a craftsman gas 25cc blower off the pile for possible parts. however, i am looking at resurrecting it. i need a vented fuel cap to create the fuel tank pressure in order to get gas through the system. if that works, just need a missing lower blower tube. i usually use an electric blower, but would be good to have a gas one for the convenience of not hauling around an extension cord (esp. in areas with brush and trees).

most recent pick! not directly connected to hearth subjects; however, how many of us have had to sew work clothes after hauling wood or working on our stoves? during my pass through the transfer station to dispose my own waste, i am starting to stop and walk the metal pile. there have been too many good things tossed. trying to think carefully before picking, and certainly keeping in mind quality brands (like the vc stove, ryobi, echo, mcculloch, popular, etc.).

in this case, i know old singers are extremely durable. the case and booklet was with it. like the other stuff, i spent some time educating myself on the item. in this case, this sewing machine is top quality and very desirable. model 66-18, serial number is from 1941. the black finish is the rare "crinkle" or "Godzilla" style. wonderfully heavy and mechanical.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpeg
    thumbnail.jpeg
    14.6 KB · Views: 127
today's dump treasures:

1) nice kenmore vacuum. nice condition, just needs a new rug attachment belt (probably why they tossed it!). i don't know why people through away nice working vacs. i've actually picked up several really nice kenmore over the past couple of years and passed them around. all work nice, some with heap filters. we all need an extra hearth vac!

2) harmon kardon stereo receiver. pretty nice mid-90s vintage. gave it a surface cleaning, hooked it up, nice sound. thankfully it wasn't raining today, or this would be unsalvageable. i've grabbed three 1990s receivers over the past couple of years: this, a yamaha, and an onkyo. i understand, they don't have wi-fi, bluetooth, hdmi, etc. still, come on people, stop trashing good stuff! who doesn't need some tunes while stacking those 10 cords of firewood!

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpeg
    thumbnail.jpeg
    17.2 KB · Views: 117
  • thumbnail.jpeg
    thumbnail.jpeg
    25 KB · Views: 155
Reactions: firefighterjake
today's dump treasures:

1) nice kenmore vacuum. nice condition, just needs a new rug attachment belt (probably why they tossed it!). i don't know why people through away nice working vacs. i've actually picked up several really nice kenmore over the past couple of years and passed them around. all work nice, some with heap filters. we all need an extra hearth vac!

2) harmon kardon stereo receiver. pretty nice mid-90s vintage. gave it a surface cleaning, hooked it up, nice sound. thankfully it wasn't raining today, or this would be unsalvageable. i've grabbed three 1990s receivers over the past couple of years: this, a yamaha, and an onkyo. i understand, they don't have wi-fi, bluetooth, hdmi, etc. still, come on people, stop trashing good stuff! who doesn't need some tunes while stacking those 10 cords of firewood!
90's receivers are usually better than what you can get for reasonable money now. When we moved into our current house we found an electrolux vacuum about 25' into the woodline... People don't know what stuff is worth sometimes.

belt for the kenmore arrived. popped it in, vac works perfectly. i like canisters much better than uprights.

after several days of research and material gathering, put on a fire and some christmas music and spent about three hours on the singer, head to toe and back to front. first sewing machine for me. long story short, fantastic quality product, looks and runs superb now. like to find a nice new case for it (the old one is a bit musty/unpleasant).

sad to think about all the great stuff tossed over the years (and too come).

I agree there should be a law...
I am a big salvage recylcer...
I built my house with over 70% recycled,reclaimed,diverted material.
My floors are cut by myself from old bridge timbers from the Original Alaska Highway.
My flat top stainless range came from the dump,it was almost brand new,$90 part from Ebay had the $1300 range working again.All the interior framing,gable framing,and dormer framing matierials had be used at least once already.
Got a killer deal on drywall,there was a big cultural center built in town,got to know the forman over the couple years it was being built,he called and asked if i wanted some drywall for $5.00 a sheet? of course i replied.I got my trailer and had almost 2 lifts of 12' 5/8 fireguard loaded up.It had some damaged sheets and they were not stored good so the lumber yard refused to take them back .
I could go on for pages of good stuff that i have found,my splitter has a dump find powering it,one of the tank bolts had fallen out and jambed between the flywheel and block 5.5horse Honda...