Chainsaw boots what do you wear?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Here are three places I've checked out for PPE. Lots of boots.

Reactions: anno Domini
Last edited:
That's why I would like them. Wear with my steel-toed outside work boots. Neat idea.

Anyone with wide feet? I have wide feet. Merrell moab 2 11w are my shoes of choice. Brooks Adrenaline gts wide are my running shoes. Anything addidas, Nike, rebook, NEVER fit. New Balance works but a little tight.

I tried the Haix Xr200 10.5w but they were still narrow

White and Wesco just off the top of my head are a couple of manufacturers that routinely make good custom fit boots. They're the standard for the fire and timber folks swinging saws and axes in the western forests all summer. Not chainsaw specific, and not normally used in safety toe form, but definitely proven. Also not cheap, but I have Wesco uppers that have been with me for 30 years. I have a few pairs going right now. They get a resole about every couple of years and get rebuilt about every couple of soles. I have the last set of custom Wescos I expect I'll be needing on order currently to fit my duck feet since a couple of my uppers are finally coming to the end of their lives and if it's a daily use thing, your need at least 2 pairs of boots. The standard boots have a logger heel, but I don't think it's a problem to decrease (or increase) the heel on a custom set.

For the shoulder season cutting where insulated boots are needed, and for general winter wear, I find the Danner Pronghorn (EE) to be a good, wide boot. I have a few pair in different insulation levels. Boot chains are something I try to use when sawing on snow/ice, and the older I get, the more I use them even when not sawing. That frozen ground or ice seems to get harder every year. I don't know why the insulated boots don't come with an ice / snow specific sole.

If you could happen on a set of NOS Danner Bighorns, those were a GREAT boot! None seem to be left in the common sizes.

There's no comparison in durability between the good logging boots and anything else I've found though. 1-2 years for the Danners before they become beaters or stove feeding slippers.