Chainsaw boots what do you wear?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

burnbug

Nov 22, 2022
Mass
I'm researching chainsaw boots and wondering what everyone is using and their feedback on it. Haix boots are talked about but seems like there is an ongoing issue with the sole separating.

Looked at the Labonville boot but is a logger heal and don't want that. Something with non logger heels is what I want. I like the Haix but concerned about the issue. Granted I won't be wearing it as much as those who faced it, but guessing over time I'd run into it.

So what does everyone wear?

I've always wore heavy leather work boots. Wore Whites for years but the logger heel no longer agrees with my back. Switched to Thorogoods a few years ago. They have been great boots. Are you looking for a saw specific boot or just a sturdy leather?

I have some Chippwa Loggers with the logger heel. I wish I had not got that heel, it seems like it's easier to roll your ankle. They are not all that comfortable, but they are durable.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
I used to wear Chippewa, but I too had problems causing my back ache by the end of the day, and they are very heavy (and toe box rubbed top of big toe on one foot).
A colleague highly recommended Andrew Boots ( Arbpro Cervino Wood S3).
Andrew Shoes (boots) are made in Italy and are known for their fine craftsmanship and production of quality ski boots, mountaineering, and trekking boots and outdoor work boots.
All chainsaw boots are pricey. It's tough to shop for chainsaw boots because limited opportunities to shop and try on chainsaw/ safety boots. I took a chance and bought online.
The fit and craftsmanship are excellent. The moment I tried on I could tell it was a perfect fit and could feel the craftsmanship.
These boots are sturdy with a high-top, and are not a quick, flexible slip-on boot (they are a safety shoe with steel toe and Kevlar), but they are comfortable.
For some things its still nice to patronize dwindling, remaining quality craftsmanship.
One pair of great fitting chainsaw boots that I will wear > 2+ pairs of crappy, cheap safety boots that I don't/ can't wear because of terrible fit. They should be the last chainsaw boot I buy.

I have always just worn a pair of cowboy boots when I go out and cut. Probably because I mainly do any kind of work in them. The heal on the western boots help with my sciatica and they are just all around comfortable and I don't have to lace them up.

Reactions: spuldup
Red Wing lace-up, steel toe, loggers which I wear daily for work. I also have a pair of Red Wing pull-on, steel toes, more cowboy boot style, I usually wear working around the house; they are much lighter with a lower heel.

I got a pair of Huskquvarna rubber cut resistant steel toe. They are not the most comfortable. Price was right. I don’t wear them more than two hours at a time. Feel very heavy after two hours in the heat and humidity down here.

Cofra work boots.
I start to wear them when the ground drys out in the spring and stop when the snow flys.Bunny boots all winter long.Black ones till it hits -20C then the white ones.
I don't get cold feet.

Georgia Mud Dogs, safety toe. Good rubber lower holds up (usually) and keeps waterproof. I got my first set on clearance at TSC in 2013, now on to my 4th pair, I believe. I've had hit/miss quality with some stitching coming undone where the foot "hinges" as you step causing bad leakage. This latest pair from Amazon has some re-working done so I'm hoping for more longevity. Again, not purpose-built chainsaw boots, but general farm/weekend warrior type boot is nice. I like the slip-on, once broken in I can take them off hands free as I come in from the barn.

Since I work on steep slopes I'm a fan of logger heels. They make it easier to walk down steep slopes.

I have a set of Redwing steel toe logger boots. Redwings come in narrow widths which is a big help for me getting a good fit. When I go to get replacements I'll look at dedicated chainsaw boots with protection on the top of the foot not just the toe. If they come in narrow widths and logger heels.

safety toe caps that are plastic or carbon fiber instead of steel are probably not going to do much to resist cuts.

Thorogood 8" Moc Toes with a steel toe. They have a wedge sole. For flat ground, where I do almost all my cutting and processing, they are perfect. I bought them probably 4 years ago when they were much lower priced than they are today. Comfortable right out of the box, no break in period at all.
I also have a pair of Georgia Boot Loggers which are built like tanks but they feel like them too when you wear them.
I also have a pair of Wellington style pull on boots but they aren't steel toe so they're not really the best for wood processing.
I can definitely recommend the Thorogoods though, I really like them. They were like half the price that they are now when I bought them.

that's exactly what happens to me if I don't wear steel toes. Like every time.

I used to wear my Chippewa Super Loggers When running the saw, but now I prefer steel toe Xtratuff boots.

I just started wearing a pair of Irish Setter (Redwing) Wingshooter workboots. Very comfortable and they have the non-metallic safety toe. need some more time in them, but like them so far.

What i really like about the Cofra's that i get is after a few hours you forget you have new boots on.
The most comfortable work boot i have found, i wear them everyday from spring to fall.

Danner Quarry’s are my winter work/woodcutting boots, goretex and 400g thinsulate, composite toe, which I prefer in winter. Bad thing about a steel toe is that a steel toe gets cold it’s cold the rest of the day.
When it’s above freezing, I have my Nicks builder pros with the logging heel, had them 2 years and they look brand new, they are heavy, but they are wonderful.
Another tip is get some obenauffs boot oil to take care of them, also to further waterproof and keep the leather from getting scraped and scratched is take a heat gun and melt beeswax into the leather.

Reactions: tebenhoh
Reactions: tebenhoh
Huberd’s Shoe (boot, leather) Grease also contains beeswax; good stuff. 👍🏻

EDIT: I looked at Danner’s website, I may have to try a pair of those next. I like the insulated Quarry and the Vicious model boots.

Last edited:
I just use steel toe boots like a lot of others on here. Have thought about getting chainsaw laces, but haven't done it.

My winter shoveling boots are original Herman Survivors. They're really old. They get mink oil because it's what I've had forever, and I still have some remaining.

Last edited:
In Canada having a boot that lasts for years isn't good when you get injured.
I was told that Workmans Compensation expects your boots to be less than a year old.

They don’t slip, but they do catch on stuff if you are wading through trash or lots of downed branches.