Chainsaw brake question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided that since it's there, I would get into the habit of setting it whenever I put the saw down or when I'm moving with the saw. Otherwise you have to either wait for the saw to stop on its own, or move with a still-turning saw. I've never needed it to protect me (yet), but I have tripped the inertial brake with some mini-kickbacks when bucking nose buried. Nice to know it's that sensitive.

wendell said:
fjord said:
Danno77 said:
I've never used an airbag, I don't know why they put those stupid things in cars.

Saves lives....many many lives.
Your mileage will differ.

Actually, some studies have shown that front air bags cause more injuries than they prevent. Side curtain air bags on the other hand, are a great thing. Kinda like chain brakes.

Oh yeah, another Urban Myth WenDell ...."I read it online." Don't use seat belts either ? You know that "studies" have shown that they also kill. Those Studies say you can get trapped in a burning vehicle.
Be sure that you escrow $$$$ so taxpayers don't have to foot your E.R. care.

Well, at least one of you has the ability to use some intelligence with the infamous, non-macho chain brake. Good going and thanks for the support.
Doesn't take long to flip the brake on with your forearm when moving, putting the saw down such as smashing wedges for directional felling, changing felling positions such as mouth cuts or boring, or changing a tie-in.
Then another micro second to pull the brake off with your handle fingers with thumb around the handle. Easy. Quick. Manly (for those concerned that safety is girly fear. ). :lol:

Vox clamantus en desierto.

oldspark said:
I never said they were a bad idea, I have an old saw that does not have one and am fine with it, and I was cutting wood when some of you were crapping yellow.

Oh myyyyyyy Sparky. You are onto something. :lol:
Aren't we kind of anal this morning.

All this safty is a good- thing but sounds like I should already be dead! (Not real sure how I made it for 30+ years with a saw)
Not Knocking anyone here for safety. Sure would like to see some pic's of eveone work and safty gear on!

fjord said:
oldspark said:
I never said they were a bad idea, I have an old saw that does not have one and am fine with it, and I was cutting wood when some of you were crapping yellow.

Oh myyyyyyy Sparky. You are onto something. :lol:
Aren't we kind of anal this morning.
I suppose so. :red:

wendell said:
fjord said:
Danno77 said:
I've never used an airbag, I don't know why they put those stupid things in cars.

Actually, some studies have shown that front air bags cause more injuries than they prevent. Side curtain air bags on the other hand, are a great thing. Kinda like chain brakes.

Having been in a head on kissing an air bag would have been prefered over the steering wheel and windshield. Maybe the skin on my forehead would still be on instead sticking through the glass(13 year ago). Just my opinion. As for the saw, nothing replaces common sense and proper use. I started out on a poulan 3100 countervibe no brake. I wouldnt throw a saw in the trash just because of no brake no less than i would have junked my 67 mustang because it didnt have over shoulder seat belts or air bags or disc brakes for that matter. I drove it plenty and used the poulan plenty and still would if i had either.

Air bags and chainsaw...huh, cant make the connection here!

smokinjay said:
Air bags and chainsaw...huh, cant make the connection here!

they are looking at developing an airbag for chainsaws

when the saw kicks back it will apply the chainbrake
and deploy an airbag from the top of the saw
lessining the impact to the facial area

the problem to overcome is resetting the airbag

fjord said:
wendell said:
fjord said:
Danno77 said:

Oh yeah, another Urban Myth WenDell ...."I read it online." Don't use seat belts either ? You know that "studies" have shown that they also kill. Those Studies say you can get trapped in a burning vehicle.

Not an urban legend. I have read the studies. This is my line of work. And yes, you are more likely to be injured in a rear end collision if you are wearing a seat belt. But, you should still wear them because they will save your life.

Sorry I hurt your feelings in your PPE thread. Or are you just naturally a very unpleasant person?

wendell said:
fjord said:
wendell said:
fjord said:
Danno77 said:

Not an urban legend. I have read the studies. This is my line of work. And yes, you are more likely to be injured in a rear end collision if you are wearing a seat belt. But, you should still wear them because they will save your life.

Sorry I hurt your feelings in your PPE thread. Or are you just naturally a very unpleasant person?

No "feelings", no personal offense. Simply facts based on experience, professional training, work with those who actually do....this is just for some a virtual game rather than intelligent information based on facts and verifiable, real research. If you really do the work,use the tools, why the need to denigrate tools that protect users ? Can we say "macho" ?

For many it is a chance to vent, rant, bully when you don't get your own way or need to be corrected when misformation is pushed or bragging about manhood.

Now, which "studies" ?

fjord said:
wendell said:
fjord said:
wendell said:
fjord said:
Danno77" date="1283195040 said:

No "feelings", no personal offense. Simply facts based on experience, professional training, work with those who actually do....this is just for some a virtual game rather than intelligent information based on facts and verifiable, real research. If you really do the work,use the tools, why the need to denigrate tools that protect users ? Can we say "macho" ?

For many it is a chance to vent, rant, bully when you don't get your own way or need to be corrected when misformation is pushed or bragging about manhood.

Now, which "studies" ?

You do like to put down a text book statement and then provoke. I will give you that....You should post some Pic's of your work many home owners on here need a safety minded tree guy?

fjord said:

Now, which "studies" ?

The hypocrisy of your 2nd paragraph is just stunning. As far as the your statements of your expertise in your first paragraph, you should know the answer in your third.

And what is your issue with macho, etc. Every post you make is accusing someone of doing something for that reason. What are you compensating for?

You have yet to make the slightest effort to be pleasant to the other members of this forum and be helpful. I'm quite sure you will be banned soon but until that happens, I will not waste my time making any further response to your inane posts.

(wow, sorry i brought up airbags.) I haven't seen any studies that indicate they cause more injuries than when not used. Without knowledge on the subject i'd venture a guess that your quantity of injuries may increase with the use of an airbag, but the number of DEADLY injuries would be reduced. I don't really know how they record that stuff, though. Not to be graphic, but i would assume that if you go face-first into a steering wheel and die from blunt force trauma, they don't throw things like broken wrist, fractured nose, second degree facial burns onto the report, BECAUSE YOU ARE DEAD. However, if you are alive, they are going to mention whiplash, broken nose, torn cornea, stitches in tongue, etc. which will superficially look like a higher number of injuries.

SO, I am also interested in seeing studies that show an airbag is worse than not.

Yes, it would be easy to avoid all of these heated exchanges if someone would just post links to the (reputable) studies which show that seat belts and airbags do more harm than good. I'm ready to learn...

I am ready to talk chainsaw's! lol

wendell said:
fjord said:

Now, which "studies" ?

The hypocrisy of your 2nd paragraph is just stunning. As far as the your statements of your expertise in your first paragraph, you should know the answer in your third.

And what is your issue with macho, etc. Every post you make is accusing someone of doing something for that reason. What are you compensating for?

You have yet to make the slightest effort to be pleasant to the other members of this forum and be helpful. I'm quite sure you will be banned soon but until that happens, I will not waste my time making any further response to your inane posts.

Wendell: " My wife does run the stove when it is absolutely necessary, but like Jeff Foxworthy says, it it is like a monkey doing a math problem. " :bug:

fjord, I gotta admit I'm still trying to figure out your motives. In any case, Wendell said there are studies that show that seatbelts and airbags can do more damage than good and he's right: http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/articles/105563/article.html, http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/boom-honda-recalls-killer-airbags/, http://www.scienceservingsociety.com/ts/text/ch12.htm, http://www.newsinferno.com/archives/18633. And those were Googled in 10 seconds.

But, this thread and its responses are more about the point (Wendell also said to use seatbelts, etc.) that safety features are imperfect and shouldn't be relied on. I'll take a sober man using a saw without a chainbreak over my drunk neighbor using a C-Q Stihl!

S

thinkxingu said:
fjord, I gotta admit I'm still trying to figure out your motives. In any case, Wendell said there are studies that show that seatbelts and airbags can do more damage than good and he's right: http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/articles/105563/article.html, http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/boom-honda-recalls-killer-airbags/, http://www.scienceservingsociety.com/ts/text/ch12.htm, http://www.newsinferno.com/archives/18633. And those were Googled in 10 seconds.
But, this thread and its responses are more about the point (Wendell also said to use seatbelts, etc.) that safety features are imperfect and shouldn't be relied on. I'll take a sober man using a saw without a chainbreak over my drunk neighbor using a C-Q Stihl!
S

Sorry boys and girls, those are articles about studies, not studies themselves, some with sources of real research. Interesting reading IF one seriously reads. Read carefully with some intelligence. Don't skim just to make your point.
Those sites ALL emphasize that the airbags AND full belts save lives. There are costs and situations where they MAY not be COMPLETELY effective. Nothing is. NHTSA and the insurance group do controlled research. Common knowledge for any gear. Nowhere do any of those links state that "airbags are unsafe", or that belts "cause more injuries" than airbagless or seatbeltless. READ. READ.

Now back to why you boys are so incensed by information for most who want to know how to use a chainsaw effectively and safely. Go to your corner....now.

WenDell: where the H do you have a 70" DBH Maple ? Dreams ? Want a 70" bar for this ? If you really want to know how to fell a world record holder specimen like that ( not in Wisconsin ), ask.
I can only tell you how we would drop a large DBH hardwood with a bar that is say 1/3 the thickness of the trunk. It's done all the time in normal felling and tree work. No logger, arborist, cutter runs around with anything like a 40" bar for normal work. 36" at most in the east and midwest.
Really want to know the technique ? Or, are you looking for more parody, juvenille ridicule and jollies ? Truth WenDell and Jay and Thinx. Truth. Don't just get ragey here on me.

So, ask in a way that may give you some new information. The technique for felling a large DBH tree with a short bar is simple, time consuming, safe with some easily learned skill.

P.S. "DBH" ---look it up.

"There are costs and situations where they MAY not be COMPLETELY effective."
That was the point all along.

S

thinkxingu said:

S
Yes that was the point, I have seen posts on here and the arborist site how people would not even fire up a saw with out a chain brake and no way would they use a saw with out one, its not that big a deal and not that dangerous if you know what you are doing.

Internet posts can run askew, particular when mixed with a little brew. Let's stick to the chainbrake and forget the automotive remedies. Many safety devices are not 100% perfect, the goal is to prevent the maximum amount of injuries possible within reason. Now let's have a group hug and move on.

oldspark said:
thinkxingu said:

S
Yes that was the point, I have seen posts on here and the arborist site how people would not even fire up a saw with out a chain brake and no way would they use a saw with out one, its not that big a deal and not that dangerous if you know what you are doing.

I would agree with that. I wouldn't be good for me but many people out there have not ran anything but no brake saws. 090, 080 still big milling saw no brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.