Chainsaw Purchase Advice Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isipwater

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2013
Southeastn, AZ
Hi,

I am about to purchase my very first chainsaw. I have already done lots of research on this forum and other websites but I also wanted to get some recommendations from you.

For chainsaw sizing purposes, here is little about me and my woodcutting needs:
  • I am 5'9'', 165lbs in fairly good physical shape.
  • I will not be felling any tress but cutting log length wood that is delivered to my house.
  • I will primarily be processing pine with some hardwoods.
  • The diameter of the logs will usually be 24" or less.
  • I want a saw of good value, something that will last a long time.
  • The chainsaw will be used for bucking about 5 cords wood per year.
So far, I am leaning toward the Stihl MS 180 C-BE. It is the highest rated saw on the Consumer Reports website. I know they don't test every saw and not the big ones, but the 180 performed the best in all of their tests.

What are your recommendations for me?

Last edited:
The 180 is a happy homeowner saw designed for occasional use, or as a limbing saw in my opinion. The $250 limit is going to severely limit your choices for one of these machines. Don't make a $150 mistake here, and take your limit to $400 or so. When buying a saw you have to look at it as an investment in a good quality tool that should last you many, many years, maybe a lifetime with proper care.

The saw you are looking at is only 32cc in size, much to small for your plans. I would venture into the farm and ranch saws and see what catches your eye. Although its only pine and not hardwood I would still look at a min 50cc saw, especially if you are going to see logs to 24" diameter.

Go to a Stihl dealer and pick them up and handle them, you will understand what I'm saying here and know which one you want when you have it in your hands.

I presently have six saws, but the three that get the most use are listed in my sig, below. My go to saw is the 36 pro, good mid sized saw, but its compareable model today would be beyond even the $400 price tag.

Good luck!

Craig

Western softwoods up to 24" in diameter and 5 cords/year? My minimum size would be a 60cc saw w/20" bar (24/25" bar will be okay in softwoods) running 3/8 pitch chain.

Stihl 036/360/361/362, Husqvarna 562/555 (or Jonsered equivalent), maybe Dolmar 6100.

You can go smaller like a good 50cc saw, but it will take much longer in 20-24" wood. Time is not a major factor for some, but I don't have a lot of extra time to process my wood.

Last edited:
Reactions: redmule
Western softwoods up to 24" in diameter and 5 cords/year? My minimum size would be a 60cc saw w/20" bar (24/25" bar will be okay in softwoods) running 3/8 pitch chain.

Stihl 036/360/361/362, Husqvarna 562/555 (or Jonsered equivalent), maybe Dolmar 6100.

You can go smaller like a good 50cc saw, but it will take much longer in 20-24" wood. Time is not a major factor for some, but I don't have a lot of extra time to process my wood.
Since I only plan on using the chainsaw a couple weekends per year, do you really think I need something that big, powerful and expensive?

I have a 460 for my workhorse. About 1,000 but for cutting to length I use a echo T handle saw about 300.00 . I like it plus a 5 yr warranty.

Since I only plan on using the chainsaw a couple weekends per year, do you really think I need something that big, powerful and expensive?

I think you defintely need something bigger than an MS180 for the work you are describing. Have you tried your local CL ads? There is definitely risk to purchasing used, but if you know what to look for there are deals to be had. We can certainly help you with tips on purchasing used and if you've done some research here and on other sites, you probably came across that info already.

Reactions: isipwater
I've got an MS180.. it's the only saw I have. Just bought a woodstove so will be needing a LOT more wood cut.. I'm here looking for new saw ideas because I don't think the MS180 will cut it. It does ok for cutting small stuff, but really boggs down on anything bigger/harder. Right now I'm thinking the MS290 Farm Boss, but still researching.. I'll probably need about 4-5 cords a year too (TBD).

That is asking a bunch from a 180. Nice saw, but not considered a bucking saw (which is what you are doing). You don't need the biggest and baddest for what your plans are, but under sizing your saw is gonna be maddening. Find a saw that can comfortably run an 18 or 20" bar. Not just one that will "accept" that size. In the Stihl lineup the 260/1 would be the smallest I would suggest.

I run a MS-361 with an 18" bar (primarily) and it is pure pleasure. The ever popular 290 family will do it, as well as several others.

Kind of in the same boat as far as chainsaw needs. I cut on my property, do small scrounges (1/5-1/4 cord at a time) and get the odd delivery from a lawn guy. I'm in no position to make saw recommendations but I did just pick up a couple reconditioned saws from vminnovations.com. Got a Homelite 3.5 HP electric to replace my 25 y/o (broken and battered) McCulloch 2.25 HP Electromac and a 435 Husqvarna. Paid $53 for the Homelite and $165 for the 435. No tax, free shipping.

Goes w/o saying the electric is for around the house but I wanted to say that I feel like you can do a lot more work w/ an electric chainsaw than I think most people give them credit for and there's almost no maintenance outside of chain sharpening. For example the locust rounds pictured (and many more over the years) were all bucked using the little McCulloch. The pile shown has grown considerably w/ 25 rounds or so of the oak (looks like the shadow of the suspended locust behind the rounds). The oak tree snapped off when the locust hit it and was/is 18" 3-4' up the trunk.

So for around the house a $50-70 an electric w/ a sharp chain can be a handy thing.

Attachments

• locust rounds.jpg
    locust rounds.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 292
Stihl. I have an 026 for about 15yrs ( 60 cords min), and with a sharp chain and clear air filter we'll tackle anything.

Replacement cost $600 plus ( I think it's pro spec). Ask dealer for same power/engine size in homeowner trim ( a little heavier).

If this think doesn't outlast my body, I'll buy another

Hi,

I am about to purchase my very first chainsaw. I have already done lots of research on this forum and other websites but I also wanted to get some recommendations from you.

For chainsaw sizing purposes, here is little about me and my woodcutting needs:
  • I am 5'9'', 165lbs in fairly good physical shape.
  • I will not be felling any tress but cutting log length wood that is delivered to my house.
  • I will primarily be processing pine with some hardwoods.
  • The diameter of the logs will usually be 24" or less.
  • I want a saw of good value, something that will last a long time.
  • The chainsaw will be used for bucking about 5 cords wood per year.
So far, I am leaning toward the Stihl MS 180 C-BE. It is the highest rated saw on the Consumer Reports website. I know they don't test every saw and not the big ones, but the 180 performed the best in all of their tests.

What are your recommendations for me?
I'll probably be banned for saying this but I bought a Sears 18" 42cc chainsaw ($149.00) last year and have used it to cut about 8 cords of wood so far, mostly ash and hackberry, from a nice old lady's shelter belt near my house and it has worked flawlessly. Most trees are from 14" to 22" diameter. I keep the chain sharp at all times and from all appearances I think I should get many more years of service out of it. If I start getting bigger wood though I will be getting a more robust saw as I can see where the Craftsman saw cut corners on materials to get to that price point.

I'll probably be banned for saying this but I bought a Sears 18" 42cc chainsaw ($149.00) last year

There is nothing ban worthy in that. Heck...I cut 5 cords per year for about 5 years with a homey 240. The issue comes up as a "you don't know, what you don't know". Once I went to a larger pro saw, there was no turning back. Just never grab ahold of a pro saw and you will be okay- it'll ruin ya.;)

I'd be looking at a minimum of a 290 for bucking limbs that big. Or a 260 if you really want to spurge for a lighter pro saw, but it sounds like you don't need it. My recommendation would be to hit up the local Home Depots rental sections and find a used Makita 6421. You should be able to find one for under $250; it's a $600 saw brand new and is just a blue version of a Dolmar 6400. The one I bought was marked at like $269, I picked it up and asked the clerk what's the best price he could do, and he told me $225, so don't be afraid to ask for a better deal.

Home Depot typically sells them long before they've been worn out, so you can still get plenty of life out of them. Plenty of power and pulls a 20" bar with authority, although it's slightly heavy. Still a great saw for bucking and if you ever feel the need for more power or it eventually wears out a $200 kit will bump the displacement from 65cc to 79cc.

Purchasing a saw is a compromise. Power, power-to-weight, fuel efficiency, comfort (antivibe, overall weight), max bar length, throttle response, low end torque, oiler capability, durability, heated handles, availability of parts, dealer support, price. You need to decide what balance of these factors is important to you. For most, it simply comes down to getting the most saw (displacement) a person can get for a given amount of money. Nothing wrong at all with that.

I told you what I would want for that diameter wood and that overall firewood production you intend to have. A skilled saw operator, if given enough time and patience (emphasis on patience), can cut all your wood using a 42cc Craftsman w/18" bar. Yes, it can be done, but it will not be pleasant.

Last edited:
I agree with the above post. For me, it meant I bought a MS250. It has an 18" bar, which means I could cut up to 36" logs if I was determined to tackle that challenge. I'd like to point out that it isn't a professional use saw, but I'm not making a living using it. Sometimes I read posts about saws here and I'm convinced people think you can't cut wood with anything short of a professional use saw.

Prior to purchase, I used a couple different farm boss 290's, and though the power was great, but that 13lb saw made me tired after an hour or so. I was drooling over the saws at my local dealer, and talked to the tech about the MS250 because it was 3lbs lighter than the 290, but questioned the power. He happily sent me home with the shops 026 Pro (pro version of the 250) to borrow for a couple days and see how I liked it. The rest is history.

Anyhow, your best shopping approach might be one similar to what I did...I didn't walk in expecting to get sent home with a saw to test, but it never hurts to work with the vendor you're choosing. That relationship may also come in handy in the future, should you need help.

Alright, it seems that everyone here agrees that I will need a bigger saw than the Stihl MS 180 C-BE.

After listening to you all and doing more research, I agree. I now want something much stronger such as the Stihl MS261 but I really don't want to spend that much, at $600.

I like bassJam's idea about getting a used Makita DCS 6421 Chainsaw with 20" in the $200 range. I will explore this option and probably be back with more questions.

Last edited:
I'll throw out the same recommendation I've thrown out many times, and I see two others already have above. Buy a Stihl 036, arguably the best firewood saw ever made. These can be had in decent condition for $300 - $400 from any one of the many reputable mechanics over at ArboristSite, a few of which are past/present members at hearth.com. I paid $300 for my own 036, and it was minty new, despite having sat in some other happy homeowner's garage for a decade or two.

Trying to cut 5 cords per year with anything below 50 cc is a surefire recipe for frustration.

photo 14.JPG

The 036 is the medium saw wearing a 20" bar on the right. The wee little'n in the background is 35cc, roughly the size of that MS180 you were considering.

Last edited:
Get the most saw you can afford and don't be afraid to go over your budget, you never remember what you pay for something of quality but when you go cheap you are reminded every time you use it.

WOW...This is so true! Great post......

It just doesn't pay to go cheap. What's the saying....skilled labor isn't cheap and cheap labor isn't skilled.....same can be said for tools and equipment.

Craig

Couple weekends a year of cutting is going to get you 5 cords? You are a better man than I...

Five cords takes me a full winter to cut, split and stack! Maybe I'm just getting to damn old!

Craig

Seems like a trick question but any 59cc plus is your saw.

First saw? Go with a sthil 250. I,ve beat the livin crap outta 2 old 025's and they still run like tops with hardly any maintenance. 1 of them is over 10 years old and has never seen more than an ounce of bar oil since I use it to cut roots, rocks and telephone wires when removing shrubs for home owners. Might get the job done quicker with a bigger saw but whats the hurry.

For an 5 or so cord a year, if time isn't a huge issue, but money is, I think I'd be looking at a husky 460.

My buddy has a 455 and has consistently cut 20 to 25 cord a year with it for 4 years or so now. He's cutting hardwood up to about 20 inches, most in the 14-16 inch range and did fine. Saw is holding up well but at these rates, and seeing some bigger saws in action, he now wishes he went bigger. However, as others mentioned, until he started cutting next to another saw, he didn't really think the 455 was bad.

Reactions: PapaDave
Since you are planning on using it at home I would seriously consider an electric. Little noise, no fumes, no vibration. I have two, a 14" 9 amp homelite that cost $45 which is fine for limbing and my wife using and a 18" 14 amp SunJoe saw for the bucking and felling. The SunJoe(where do they come up with these names?) is rated at 3.25 hp and cost less than $90. I use a Yamaha generator out in the woods with 100 feet of extension cord, keeping the exhaust pointed away from the work makes working with a chainsaw much more pleasant and maybe a little safer since I can hear a branch cracking before it falls on my head. I estimate my SunJoe has felled and bucked 5 cords just in the last couple of months. I was going to get an 18" gasser but after handling a few of them they are just too big and heavy for my 62 year old body.

Status
Not open for further replies.