Chainsaw Purchase Advice Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smokeater, I only vaguely remember the thread to which you're referring, but can say Jags is a good guy. Hang around a while, you'll actually grow to like him. Of course, I can say that for almost everyone on this forum.

It's on the short list for sure. Think I'm going to rearrange my whole saw line up real soon.
Everyone has different needs, and different ways of working, but I settled in on a three-saw line-up:

1. Top-handle, with lightest-weight being more important than max HP, although I was able to find both in the Husq. T435.
2. Mid-size saw, 55 - 65 cc. I thought this would be the saw I used 99% of the time, but my 62.5cc Stihl 036 Pro is actually the one I use least. I just find I most often jump from the "too small" saw right to the "really big saw", when I'm limbing and then switch over to bucking the bigger trees I've been given.
3. Big saw, 85 - 95 cc. I debated several saws, even trying out some as big as 125 cc, but settled on the 85 cc Stihl 064 AV. It's light, screaming fast, and still has all the balls needed to run big bars.

Based on some advice from smokinj and others, I debated a two-saw plan (35cc top-handle + 75cc for everything else), but decided against this for a few reasons. One was that I've had a saw stop working on me in the woods more than once in my life, and if that 75 cc saw quit for some reason, my day would be over. With my 3-saw plan, I can do without any one of them, in a pinch. Also, while the MS440 is light, it's still more to carry with the 036, particularly as I'd be putting a 24" or larger bar on a 440, if it were my only saw.

I still say the best one-saw line-up is something around 60cc, and as light as you can afford. If I didn't have that 7 lb. T435, my days in the woods would be a little shorter.

A ~60 cc pro saw (036/360/361) with 20" bar is an excellent choice and you will not regret it.... light enough to use without tiring quickly and big enough to tackle most anything you're likely to run into.

I am as cheap as anyone... haggle for $1 at a garage sale, shop around to 20 website to save $5 in shipping... but trust me, this is one place it's worth spending a little extra. If you take good care of it, this saw will last you a lifetime, so don't fret over $50 or even $100. Five years from now when you're ripping through trees with your 036 and a smile on your face, you won't even remember the extra money you spent. But I guarantee if you're struggling through a big log with a smaller/cheaper saw, or worse, missing a scrounge because your saw is broken, you will hate yourself for being cheap.

Last edited:
smokeater, I only vaguely remember the thread to which you're referring, but can say Jags is a good guy. Hang around a while, you'll actually grow to like him. Of course, I can say that for almost everyone on this forum.

Everyone has different needs, and different ways of working, but I settled in on a three-saw line-up:

1. Top-handle, with lightest-weight being more important than max HP, although I was able to find both in the Husq. T435.
2. Mid-size saw, 55 - 65 cc. I thought this would be the saw I used 99% of the time, but my 62.5cc Stihl 036 Pro is actually the one I use least. I just find I most often jump from the "too small" saw right to the "really big saw", when I'm limbing and then switch over to bucking the bigger trees I've been given.
3. Big saw, 85 - 95 cc. I debated several saws, even trying out some as big as 125 cc, but settled on the 85 cc Stihl 064 AV. It's light, screaming fast, and still has all the balls needed to run big bars.

Based on some advice from smokinj and others, I debated a two-saw plan (35cc top-handle + 75cc for everything else), but decided against this for a few reasons. One was that I've had a saw stop working on me in the woods more than once in my life, and if that 75 cc saw quit for some reason, my day would be over. With my 3-saw plan, I can do without any one of them, in a pinch. Also, while the MS440 is light, it's still more to carry with the 036, particularly as I'd be putting a 24" or larger bar on a 440, if it were my only saw.

I still say the best one-saw line-up is something around 60cc, and as light as you can afford. If I didn't have that 7 lb. T435, my days in the woods would be a little shorter.
Thanks for breaking it down like that. Helpful!

A ~60 cc pro saw (036/360/361) with 20" bar is an excellent choice and you will not regret it.... light enough to use without tiring quickly and big enough to tackle most anything you're likely to run into.

I am as cheap as anyone... haggle for $1 at a garage sale, shop around to 20 website to save $5 in shipping... but trust me, this is one place it's worth spending a little extra. If you take good care of it, this saw will last you a lifetime, so don't fret over $50 or even $100. Five years from now when you're ripping through trees with your 036 and a smile on your face, you won't even remember the extra money you spent. But I guarantee if you're struggling through a big log with a smaller/cheaper saw, or worse, missing a scrounge because your saw is broken, you will hate yourself for being cheap.
Very wise indeed.

But I guarantee if you're struggling through a big log with a smaller/cheaper saw, or worse, missing a scrounge because your saw is broken, you will hate yourself for being cheap.
Wish I had gotten this advice years ago. I would have started with what I have (or gone bigger than what I have).

Everyone in my family used crummy saws growing up. Not until I used a real saw that I knew what I was missing.

Reactions: TreePointer
Thanks to everyone for all your help in choosing my first chainsaw. Here is an update.

I decided to go with a Husqvara 555.

Several people gave me helpful feedback that goes like this:

Strategy 1: Get 2 saws; a 50cc for smaller jobs and a 70cc for the bigger jobs.

Strategy 2: Get one saw; a 60cc which will be a good all around saw for both small and big jobs.

I chose strategy 2 and used my new 555 for the first time today and it was fun.

What I like most about the 555 is:
  • Easy to use with the Autotune which automatically adjusts the carburetor.
  • Good power at 60cc and 4.3 HP
  • Durable with metal components, including a magnesium crankcase.
  • Good value: professional level saw for $550
  • 3 year warranty (extended with the purchase of Husky oil).
I ended up purchasing the saw from a member at arborsite (Spike60) who owns a power equipment shop and is a Husky dealer. He has excellent prices. Plus, since I don't live in his state (NY), it was tax free!

Thanks again, and here are a couple photos of my new Triple Nickle:

IMAG0074.jpg IMAG0069.jpg

Congrats. You are gonna love that hummer.

Get it dirty!

Isip.......

We are all so proud of you for finally choosing a saw!

You can now get to cutting those 5 cord in a few weekends!

Honestly, good for you! I'm not a Husky man but that saw will do you well....

Craig

Reactions: isipwater
Status
Not open for further replies.