Chainsaw question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim H.

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
With the last storm and some large limbs down I am thinking of a real chain saw. I have a small battery type craftsman that is ok for the small stuff like pruning. We have close to 50 trees on the property (a lot of evergreens dividing the lot) but still enough regular ones to make it worthwhile. When I prune I like to keep the larger parts of the limbs for the firepit. I was hoping for advise on something that is not big, expensive, heavy but reliable for using a few times a year.

Thanks.....

Jim

Stihl MS 170 or 180 should do the trick. I bought a MS170 for yard work such as you describe and it was a perfect fit. Light weight, inexpensive, reliable and easy to maintain was what I was looking for in a occasional use saw.

I would look at Echo

Look on the classified for a Stihl 026, or Husqvarna 50, something in the roughly 50cc range. Not too heavy for light work, but has that extra little bit should you run across something on the bigger side.

Stihl MS250, fantastic homeowner saw. Small enough for limbing, but can cut up some larger stuff if ya need it. I had a MS180 loved it, but when I moved up to a MS250, I was amazed. Can be bought for under 300 bucks, new, with a 18" bar and .325 chain. Dont forget the warranty. Always nice gettin a new saw.

I would ask how often you are going to be cutting, and if you are going to be processing any of the wood. Reason I ask is that all the saws mentioned above are good choises, but if you are only going to be using a saw 1-2 times per year, you might be ok with a saw from the local box store. I might get poo poo'd on this topic, but I just dn't think you need to spend $300 and up if the saw wil just be used for cutting up down limbs etc...
I was in the same position as you a few years back afer the icestorm, so all I did was to get a non safety chain for my 18" Craftsman (10 years old) and it works fine....actually starts on the 1st/2nd pull every time.
Again, the saws mentioned above are good...I just think you need to see how much you are going to be using it.
Good luck

Joey said:
Stihl MS250, fantastic homeowner saw. Small enough for limbing, but can cut up some larger stuff if ya need it. I had a MS180 loved it, but when I moved up to a MS250, I was amazed. Can be bought for under 300 bucks, new, with a 18" bar and .325 chain.

Even better with a 16 inch bar! Unless you're going to be cutting a lot of 36 inch trees. Why drag a saw down with more bar/chain than you need?

I would suggest buying as much Stihl as fits your budget. Suggestions above are great- Stihl has a good lineup for the homeowner. Remember a helmet with face shield- don't neglect safety.

DMZX said:
Stihl MS 170 or 180 should do the trick. I bought a MS170 for yard work such as you describe and it was a perfect fit. Light weight, inexpensive, reliable and easy to maintain was what I was looking for in a occasional use saw.

+1 for what your doing.

Kenster said:
Joey said:
Stihl MS250, fantastic homeowner saw. Small enough for limbing, but can cut up some larger stuff if ya need it. I had a MS180 loved it, but when I moved up to a MS250, I was amazed. Can be bought for under 300 bucks, new, with a 18" bar and .325 chain.

Even better with a 16 inch bar! Unless you're going to be cutting a lot of 36 inch trees. Why drag a saw down with more bar/chain than you need?
I agree, mine with the 16 inch bar and yellow chain does all I need.

zzr7ky said:
I would look at Echo
let me be blunt here......Echo is overpriced POS. Just talking chainsaws here. Wackers they are great but saws no way. Heavy underpowered POS.

I'd recommend whatever the local chainsaw shop sells vs. the big box stores.

pen

My ol' Craftsman has served me well over the past 10 years, but I'm starting to get deep into this wood cutting and collection....time for a better saw. I was looking at the Stihl Farm Boss ($400), with an 18" Bar. I hear people mentioning different types of chains....there is a difference ????....I just go out and get an Oregon S56 for mine....is there something better ???

There are many different types of chains even without a certain size. However a saw that can pull 3/8" chisel will have greatest flexibilty in tooth types. Other than my limbing saw that has 3/8 low profile, all my saws wear 3/8 full comp chisel chain. Most use the square cut style.

wkpoor said:
There are many different types of chains even without a certain size. However a saw that can pull 3/8" chisel will have greatest flexibilty in tooth types. Other than my limbing saw that has 3/8 low profile, all my saws wear 3/8 full comp chisel chain. Most use the square cut style.
Woah !!!...lost me. Long story short....a full comp chisel chain is the way to go for some serious cutting ???

Square cut teeth will cut faster but dull quicker and take special files or sharpener. I just bought a whole roll a couple yrs back to make my own. I hand sharpen it.

Beer Belly said:
wkpoor said:

Woah !!!...lost me. Long story short....a full comp chisel chain is the way to go for some serious cutting ???

Yes, short of square filed chain. 3/8" full compliment of teeth, full chisel cutter tooth. I prefer Stihl chain, seems to stay sharp longer. Just make sure you've got enough cc's to pull it. A C

amateur cutter said:
Beer Belly said:
wkpoor said:

Yes, short of square filed chain. 3/8" full compliment of teeth, full chisel cutter tooth. I prefer Stihl chain, seems to stay sharp longer. Just make sure you've got enough cc's to pull it. A C
I think mine (at the moment) is a 36cc...16 inch bar

Beer Belly said:
wkpoor said:

Note, re the "square cut" stuff, you can use a triangular file, or a "round" file on chisel chain. You can probably guess which is simpler for you.
I routinely use a "round" file on full chisel. Unfortunately for those who routinely cut dirty wood, chipper chain is "scarcin' up."

Note also that chisel chain goes dull like a light-switch, and it's hard to spot that by looking at the chain. Look at the chips.

Anyhow, you don't want to over-think this, or obsess about it.

If I were cutting limbs twice a year, I'd find something different to invest in than a chainsaw.

For occasional use cutting limbs or bucking small trees and large branches, I wouldn't go overboard. A lot of people automatically say "Stihl," because it has that sort of following. But you're paying extra for the name.

A small saw with a 16" bar would seem fine for your use. More important than the name, is that you take good care of it, keep the chain sharp, and wear the right protective equipment.

For what it's worth, my Husky 142 has been an awesome saw, and it was fairly cheap.

CTYank said:
Beer Belly said:
wkpoor said:

Note, re the "square cut" stuff, you can use a triangular file, or a "round" file on chisel chain. You can probably guess which is simpler for you.
I routinely use a "round" file on full chisel. Unfortunately for those who routinely cut dirty wood, chipper chain is "scarcin' up."

Note also that chisel chain goes dull like a light-switch, and it's hard to spot that by looking at the chain. Look at the chips.

Anyhow, you don't want to over-think this, or obsess about it.
I use a round file on mine....usually can see the chain wearing down when it starts to spit out smaller chunks, and starts shooting out sawdust. Knowing now that there are options on types of chains, I'll experiment a little....it's a pain in the butt to have to stop and sharpen when you're on a roll. Even if it's not needed, I give the chain a quick file job and adjutment everytime I top off fuel and bar oil

I had a bunch of logs like this dropped off at my place and cut it up with the 36cc Craftsman with a 16 inch bar....can't complain too much about it's performance, just not sure how much abuse it can take.
DSCN1316.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.