Challenge to find inserts < 16" deep?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 4, 2018
Connecticut, USA
We're considering replacing a gas fireplace with a wood insert. The depth is only 16" but the height is 29". I've only looked at Blaze King, Pacific Energy, and Regency, but I haven't found any inserts that will fit. I think Pacific Energy has one that will fit depth-wise, but the surround is 2" too short.

I was hoping to put in a wood insert without spending too much money. Is knocking out the back wall of the firebox even a possibility? I guess that's a case-by-case problem I'd need to talk to a dealer about.

Surrounds can be extended by attaching a strip of metal. Is it short on the top or sides?

The top. Just saw the oversized surround on the PE Vista covers everything. So that model appears to be my only choice. Everything else seems to be 16" + deep.

The PE Vista is 56k BTU, ~26k BTU EPA-measured, so a little smaller than what I wanted...

I don't know your fireplace size, but some inserts are adjustable. The Lopi Freedom is large and can go in as shallow as 13.5".

We're considering replacing a gas fireplace with a wood insert. The depth is only 16" but the height is 29". I've only looked at Blaze King, Pacific Energy, and Regency, but I haven't found any inserts that will fit. I think Pacific Energy has one that will fit depth-wise, but the surround is 2" too short.

I was hoping to put in a wood insert without spending too much money. Is knocking out the back wall of the firebox even a possibility? I guess that's a case-by-case problem I'd need to talk to a dealer about.
When you say replace your gas fireplace what type is the fireplace?

Masonry I think. It's a brick hearth and feels rock solid. But half-way up it transitions to drywall and the drywall sounds completely hollow like it is enclosing the vent pipe.
Post some pics. An insert may not even be an option