Champion 34 ton vs 37 ton log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dwol

Jun 11, 2012
I just bought a champion 34 ton log splitter only to find out that the new model is 37 ton. Does anyone know what has changed? I reviewed the specs and everything looks identical. The engine is the same, the cylinder is the same (bore and stroke), even the weight is the same. Did they really just change the number on the side from 34 to 37? It leads me to believe that the manufactures can put any claim they want on tonnage. Is there someone out there that verifies these?
Kind regards,
Dave
1675872970144.png
1675872992450.png

It's pretty well known that they kinda make up the tonnage numbers on many splitters out there...especially the "non pro level" models that most of us have.
Chances are that if you actually put a gauge on it, the pressure that they claim doesn't actually occur...then if you plug all the info into one of the "log splitter build calculators" you can find the real tonnage that it is making.

Reactions: dwol
It's pretty well known that they kinda make up the tonnage numbers on many splitters out there...especially the "non pro level" models that most of us have.
Chances are that if you actually put a gauge on it, the pressure that they claim doesn't actually occur...then if you plug all the info into one of the "log splitter build calculators" you can find the real tonnage that it is making.
Thanks brenndatomu,
I wouldn't be surprised to see this same log splitter rebranded as a 40 ton unit in 3 years...(they are only 3 tons away at this point)

There's no one who verifies these self-ratings. 4.5" at 3600 psi is 27 tons. Thats what my splitter does and it's very rare to stall it even on Eucalyptus.

This is what I was expecting with my 40 ton. I was absolutely taken by surprise when it was very close to rated when I put a gauge on mine. Only reason I don't know for sure is I bought a 3,000 max psi gauge, thinking it was going to be plenty. I then discovered as soon as the pump hit the second stage the needle on the gauge flew past the 3,000psi mark and I let off immediately. I believe 3,880 psi (5.125") is right where it would be making 40ton. I dialed it back to a little over 3,000 psi.

To the OP, I would call the manufacture and talk to their technical support staff and ask what's the deal. I'd like to hear what they have to say and to see them squirm trying to make something up. LOL

Last edited:
There's no one who verifies these self-ratings. 4.5" at 3600 psi is 27 tons. Thats what my splitter does and it's very rare to stall it even on Eucalyptus.

4.5" @ 3600 is 28.6 ton according to my calcs.

=(((4.5*4.5*3.14)/4)*3600)/2000 = 28.6

It looks like your calculator does not have "cylinder rod diameter" and bore is "5 inches" not "4.5 inches". I used the calculator below and it comes to just over 35 ton, or 70,686 lbs.
-please verify if I am not correct.

1675896828170.png

When the ram is being extended (like it is when splitting), you don't have to subtract the area of the rod, as the fluid behind the piston is the full ram diameter. To compute the splitting force tonnage applied to the wood, only the ram diameter and pressure is needed.

When the ram is being extended (like it is when splitting), you don't have to subtract the area of the rod, as the fluid behind the piston is the full ram diameter. To compute the splitting force tonnage applied to the wood, only the ram diameter and pressure is needed.
Thanks JRHAWK9,
That makes sense. I am guessing that is why there are two pressures on the calculator? One for push (no rod factor) and one for pull?
1675898414721.png

Reactions: JRHAWK9
Thanks JRHAWK9,
That makes sense. I am guessing that is why there are two pressures on the calculator? One for push (no rod factor) and one for pull?View attachment 309436

yep!

So it's a 35 ton splitter -IF- running at 3600psi max.

FWIW, mine hardly ever goes over 500psi when splitting oak. I have a 4 way wedge this year, so we'll see what difference in pressure I see when in use.

1675905633123.png

yep!

So it's a 35 ton splitter -IF- running at 3600psi max.

FWIW, mine hardly ever goes over 500psi when splitting oak. I have a 4 way wedge this year, so we'll see what difference in pressure I see when in use.

View attachment 309445
The 4 way wedge will give your splitter a workout, that's for sure. I ended up taking mine off after several years. Very frequently I found the 4 way wedge to be cutting instead of splitting the wood, often making a mess of things. I took it off and I feel like I'm splitting faster now but that could just be my thoughts

The 4 way wedge will give your splitter a workout, that's for sure. I ended up taking mine off after several years. Very frequently I found the 4 way wedge to be cutting instead of splitting the wood, often making a mess of things. I took it off and I feel like I'm splitting faster now but that could just be my thoughts

I split a lot of straight grained oak, so I don't expect too much of an issue. I didn't like a 4 way before whe I tried it on my on my other splitter because I liked to micro-manage the size of my splits. ;lol I've since decided I actually like to have a mixture of small/large splits vs all larger ones, so I'm going to give the 4 way another crack.

I split a lot of straight grained oak, so I don't expect too much of an issue. I didn't like a 4 way before whe I tried it on my on my other splitter because I liked to micro-manage the size of my splits. ;lol I've since decided I actually like to have a mixture of small/large splits vs all larger ones, so I'm going to give the 4 way another crack.
gotcha. Yes it works well on straight grained stuff, but when you run into knotty stuff you'll make a big mess real quick. I may end up putting mind back on too one day

gotcha. Yes it works well on straight grained stuff, but when you run into knotty stuff you'll make a big mess real quick. I may end up putting mind back on too one day

Here's a good example of what I am splitting.

Mine is set to 17-18 tons. Not usually more than 800 psi, even with the 4 way, crotches will take it to 1500, but rarely more. It's a 4" cylinder and I made the 4 way myself.