chaps for cutting firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Dec 11, 2005
nw burbs of Chi
Hi Guys,

I want to get some chaps to wear while cutting firewood (not high production cutting, but I want to be safer)

My saw is a stihl 021 -- it works for the little I cut.

Can I get some recomendations on chaps?

I have these full wrap chaps from Labonville. They're comfortable to wear and work in. There are others as well. I would also buy a helmet with ear protection and a face mask if you don't already have one.

I have the 6-ply green wrap-around from Labonville also, and love them. 60 bucks ain't bad to save your leg or life. I have a Stihl shirt, looks like a long-sleeve sweatshirt- was 60 some dollars from my local Stihl guy. Also have the Stihl helmet, just seemed to work better for me than the others I tried. I usually only wear a helmet if I'm felling or cutting deep in blowdowns/tops. Otherwise I wear just mesh goggles and earplugs, especially in the summer.

I just bought the same chaps as wahoowad. Have not had a chance to use them yet. If you order some, at checkout use the code 'exmas' and you can get a 10% discount.

I got a pair of Stihl chaps at the local hardware store - had a coupon that made them less expensive than any of the online places... Reasonably comfortable, somewhat hot, but I doubt there is anything that would be better, haven't "field tested" them, but don't want to ever actually find out if they work...

Gooserider

Jake: Get the best there is. You aren't going to wear them out any time soon, unless you use them to save your leg, in which case they will be forget-with-no-regrets-ably cheap. I bought a 6-ply pair (right after I did a leg-brake w/ my saw) and have since decided to buy some 12-ply ones (assuming they are not as stiff as boards). They won't cost me much more than the Labonville 9-ply, and I HOPE they are a tad better. Dunno. Any of you guys use any 12-ply? Are they robot-inducing?

I have a pair of Husqvarana's that I bought as a chaps, headgear & glove kit from nepco. My regret is that I have to wear them low on my hips since they are a little short. (I'm 6'-2")

bought a pair of stihls from the local dealer

Hopefully never need to find out how good they are

Jake said:
bought a pair of stihls from the local dealer

Hopefully never need to find out how good they are

Common sentiment - it seems like this class of gear is the only one that everybody that buys it never actually hopes to find out if it works... :coolsmirk: Most of the other stuff like hearing protectors and the like gets used regardless, but chaps are a different matter.

Gooserider

I use Stihl Pro-Mark wrap chaps. Have had them for years, they are comfortable, fit well and no I have never "tested" them. Highly recommended!

I bought a pair at Farm & Fleet. They are AOSafety. They are wrap around, with quick connects to snap the legs. I believe they were about $50. They are comfortable and long enough for me at 6'1". Can't tell you how well they work, I hope I never can.

Robbie said:
Boy, they sure almost give these things away............ %-P
Would 3 pairs of jeans not work just as good ? :)
Robbie

Depends on what you want them to do... Stop the saw before it does major damage, probably not. Sop up the blood afterwards, probably be even better :sick:

Gooserider

The fine fiber inside the chaps is supposed to stop the chain instantly. I think you'd rip though those jeans in a hurry before that chain ever stopped. Seemed like very cheap insurance to me, so I jumped on them. I'd probably spend the same money just on painkillers alone if I had an accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.