cheap non-combustible vacuum hose?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Hello fellow Boiler Rm tech-type folks and DIY-ers- I am kludging together an ash cleaning set-up with a small steel cyclone filter set up over a steel pail, followed by a stainless steel mesh (some mil-surplus compressor filter) to catch sparks or bits of coals (and any large particles that made it past the cyclone separator), to then be followed by a clean stream shop vac hepa filter, then an electric vacuum motor. Many of these items have been scrounged, so the cost is staying fairly low, and I want to keep it that way. I am going to use it at first to clean the boiler/flue when there has been no fire for some time- so I can use regular shop vac or sump-pump hose for the suction hose. But eventually I may want to use it more often and when there have been recent fires in the boiler.

Anyone have any suggestions for a non-combustible suction hose for this set-up that won't carry a premium price (in the approximate 1.25 to 2 inch diameter range)?

Thanks

Not very elegant and not something you'd want to go room-to-room with but flexible radiator hose (all steel) is available at auto parts shops.

pybyr said:
Hello fellow Boiler Rm tech-type folks and DIY-ers- I am kludging together an ash cleaning set-up with a small steel cyclone filter set up over a steel pail, followed by a stainless steel mesh (some mil-surplus compressor filter) to catch sparks or bits of coals (and any large particles that made it past the cyclone separator), to then be followed by a clean stream shop vac hepa filter, then an electric vacuum motor. Many of these items have been scrounged, so the cost is staying fairly low, and I want to keep it that way. I am going to use it at first to clean the boiler/flue when there has been no fire for some time- so I can use regular shop vac or sump-pump hose for the suction hose. But eventually I may want to use it more often and when there have been recent fires in the boiler.

Anyone have any suggestions for a non-combustible suction hose for this set-up that won't carry a premium price (in the approximate 1.25 to 2 inch diameter range)?

Thanks

Check some local supply houses for a replacement hose used on a Sootmaster vac. Probably won't be real inexpensive but the alternative (starting a fan forced fire with your vac) can really wreck a guys day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.