Checking /Cleaning Your Chimney in Winter ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
I didn't burn that much before so ,I never needed to check or sweep the chimney in winter.

I have a 6-12 pitch roof , but am leery of getting up there with snow on the roof.
Don't want to slide off !!!

I check mine on a monthly basis. My roof is only a 4/12 on a 1 story house so it is not a big deal. The wind blows hard enough out in the flatlands of iowa that we rarely get snow on the roof. Just every place else.
IMG_1492.JPG

Im not getting on my roof with snow. i will rely on my good wood burning habits to not worry about it. Besides I would be sure to fall and post pics of it.

We don't get a lot often but 18" one night in December of 2009 and three feet in 24 hours in 2010 was enough for me. You guys can have the stuff as far as I am concerned.

Get something like the Soot Eater and you can clean from inside.

I didn't burn that much before so ,I never needed to check or sweep the chimney in winter.

I have a 6-12 pitch roof , but am leery of getting up there with snow on the roof.
Don't want to slide off !!!

Cleaning frequency depends on a lot of variables like the wood you are burning, the stove, the chimney exposure to outdoor temps, and the fellow running the show. Don't get up on the roof unless you can do it safely.

How has your chimney looked when cleaned in the spring? How much creosote are you getting? If just a little then don't worry about it. If it's substantial then one option is to clean it from the bottom up. The nifty tool called the SootEater allows you to clean from the bottom up.
http://www.sooteater.com/

tips: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/using-sooteater-to-clean-chimney-first-time-tips.90981/

Cleaning frequency depends on a lot of variables like the wood you are burning, the stove, the chimney exposure to outdoor temps, and the fellow running the show. Don't get up on the roof unless you can do it safely.

How has your chimney looked when cleaned in the spring? How much creosote are you getting? If just a little then don't worry about it. If it's substantial then one option is to clean it from the bottom up. The nifty tool called the SootEater allows you to clean from the bottom up.
http://www.sooteater.com/

tips: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/using-sooteater-to-clean-chimney-first-time-tips.90981/

I do keep a good hot fire
I cleaned it in the fall, just before I started burning, I got slightly more than a quart.
There was a little mound on the deflector deal in the stove, before I started sweeping
I have used the creosote log deals, not sure if they work
I don't think I can clean ,from bottom up ,with the deflector deal in the stove, and the damper, Well I guess I could, if took the pipe apart, that would be a mess

Reactions: BrotherBart
I have an exterior chimney with a cleanout at the bottom.

I just push the brush up from the bottom. I have the older flexible wire rods which I do not see sold anymore.

Getting on the roof is usually too dangerous. I know someone who tried to clear an ice dam and slid off and hit his head real hard. Fortunately that was only one story.

MnDave

Dang forgot about my roofing harness, and roof rake :)

Do you really ave an 8 cu ft firebox? Wow. How much wood do you burn each year?

Yes it's 8cu ft
Can't tell you how much wood I burn In a year , this will be the first year I will be burning all season

8 cu ft box isn't anything too crazy. The stove my folks used was around 30 cu ft for the firebox. Was made out of an old 275 gal fuel oil tank.

I thought my old stove was big at 4.3cf. I cannot imagine what happens when a full load off gasses in an eight cf stove. My old one would hit a 1,000 often on a full reload.

Status
Not open for further replies.