checking for creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SCOTT S.

Burning Hunk
Mar 22, 2014
Waupaca WI
My old smoke dragon never produced much I would sweep once a year for piece of mind but it was always clean. Now I have a B.K. and was wondering if I could tell if there is build up just by looking down from the top or does it form bottom up?

For the chimney itself, most accumulation is generally near the top, since that is the coolest part of the system.

However, depending on the connector pipes used, soot can build up in them as well and it wouldn't hurt to do a mid-season check on them too. (especially if there are 90's and single wall involved)

For my setup, I get a bit of build up in the connector pipes (but I am using single wall), very little up the chimney until the last 4 feet or so,,,,, and even then it's not much, just that's where the majority of what I get is found.

In general, you have a new beast there, so erring on the side of caution is always wise. However, with good fuel and a modern stove as you have, I'd expect you to be able to keep on the yearly cleaning schedule,,,,,but still, wise to check as you are.

pen

My old smoke dragon never produced much I would sweep once a year for piece of mind but it was always clean. Now I have a B.K. and was wondering if I could tell if there is build up just by looking down from the top or does it form bottom up?
I just cleaned out my sister's and she had about two inches of flaky dry soot laying along the bottom in the 6 foot single wall horizontal run to the chimney from the stove. Paper thin glazier/shinier -looking stuff looking down the chimney. The cap was actually rusty inside.
Hadn't been cleaned out nor used for at least 8 years before she started using it last Winter. I looked down it a year ago before she started burning and what she had then was what I found now. I didn't have an 8 inch brush then.
I also removed her crappy old Scandia 315 and put her Tempwood that has been in my garage in its place.
I/we have very dry oak firewood.

I have double wall but also have 2 45s if it looks clean from the top I should be good then? Thanks

I have double wall but also have 2 45s if it looks clean from the top I should be good then? Thanks

If you are an experienced burner, and you feel it looks clean from the top based upon what you have seen in the past, then go for it. My chimney is pretty easy to check from the top as well. That said, since I have the ladder out anyway, I just bring the brush and rods with me and clean out whatever is or is not in there, since climbing up on the roof is about 1/3 of the job anyway.

If this is a brand new chimney setup also, and the first season using that, or you aren't used to doing your own cleanings, then it never hurts to pay for one sweep extra and be there when the sweep does it so that he can give the thumbs up that the new installation was done correctly, and that what you are looking at is good to go. With a reputable sweep and a good conversation about your concerns, they should give you an honest answer as to a cleaning schedule based upon what they find.

pen

Reactions: SCOTT S.
Status
Not open for further replies.