Residual creosote?I’m

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
2,510
Southeast CT; NW Maine
Definitely feeling some frustration here. Provide some background.- I had my Wood insert installed in 2013 and have been using it since. After a couple years and doing some checking, I didn’t feel comfortable with the initial install and had a different company come out to redo. About a year after the second install, I decided to check behind the surround and noticed it looked like some residual creosote. I called that company back, and the guy came back out and did, what I felt, was a very quick once over of that area.l and sort of dismissed the whole thing.
At that point, I decided to just live with it and move on. Decided to take a better look with better flashlight that I bought in feel bit concerned with what I’m seeing in the chimney just above the damper area. I can see some old creosote, but the exact amount is a little bit difficult to discern, because it appears that there may have been some parging of that area on chimney was built (1977). I wanted to see what you all thought about what’s in the pictures. Some areas look pretty clean, while others do not. For reference, the pictures go from the left side of the fire box to the right in a circle so I could try to get all visible areas photographed. The steel damper was left in, which is unfortunate and blocks a better view of the entire area.
Although it completely rots, I am prepared to call a good sweep to pull the liner in stove and completely rid the area of any residual buildup, so I can put this issue to bed.
 

Attachments

  • [Hearth.com] Residual creosote?I’m
    IMG_7041.webp
    259.4 KB · Views: 11
  • [Hearth.com] Residual creosote?I’m
    IMG_7042.webp
    307.4 KB · Views: 11
  • [Hearth.com] Residual creosote?I’m
    IMG_7045.webp
    465.1 KB · Views: 13
  • [Hearth.com] Residual creosote?I’m
    IMG_7044.webp
    381.7 KB · Views: 12
  • [Hearth.com] Residual creosote?I’m
    IMG_7046.webp
    320 KB · Views: 11