Cherry is the flavor of the month

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsHAM

Burning Hunk
May 28, 2015
WV
Been chewing through my cherry stash here the last two weeks in these mild temps, leaving the beech, oak and other "colder weather" wood in the pile. Been loading the furnace up in the evening , throw a few pieces in the morning and let the coal bed ride out through the day and not overheat the house. Love the smell of it outside and how well it coals up. Great wood !

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Same here. I love cherry. Will be processing several dead standing cords over next couple weeks. But with the ohio forecast we won't even be burning till next week sometime! I suspect January will bring stove cranking weather. Cherry and white oak are two favorites to split and smell.

Reactions: woodsHAM
This has certainly been a great winter to get ahead on wood. Forecast is calling to hit close to 70 here by the weekend and remain warm through following week, craziness!

I myself have just started burning out of a stack of cherry I've got. First cherry that I have ever burned and I've had two small fires with it so far. Seems to start just a bit slower, but has burned great so far. Curious to see how long a full load will go on a slow burn.

My experience has been that cherry is " hot and fast burning " great for starting or adding to coals to restart a fire.

bob

It definitely doesnt burn as hot as locust but the woods in my area are thick with cherry so it will always find its way to the woodpile !

"No fire till next week". I lied. Wife decided she wanted 80' rather than 60'. Me too I guess. Full load of cherry and one not dry enough piece of beech the kids brought in. Sizzled but burning now and the cherry is chugging at 450' in the pipe.

Cherry is pretty much all I have this season and it's just fine. I love the color and smell of it.

Good thing is I planned ahead and put the punky stuff in the front so that is being depleted as we speak. Soon I will be loading the stove less and that's fine with me. :)

I cant wait to burn some of the hickory I have drying for next year!

I've been calling some of the wood I got this year "cherry" but haven't been totally sure. It's the only kind that has been reliably dried below 20% vs the other "seasoned" stuff in the pile. I've read cherry is a fast dryer. So when I burn something from the new wood it's this. This picture is a little more orange but many are darker red. Thought I'd save you all another separate wood id thread. Am I right - cherry? c5defe60458216dfa2023f37f34ab44a.jpgb599bf1ca05760bcdf721faf12e6e490.jpg

From the first pic yes , i would say cherry. The second pic i can see some remants of bark that looks similar to cherry but not certain. If you have any pieces with bark still on them, it will be rough flaky dark grey to black looking bark, its actually a messy wood to handle if the bark hasnt fallen off.

"No fire till next week". I lied. Wife decided she wanted 80' rather than 60'. Me too I guess. Full load of cherry and one not dry enough piece of beech the kids brought in. Sizzled but burning now and the cherry is chugging at 450' in the pipe.
Are you in the same "Ohio" that I'm in? I realize you're a little north of me...but not much. I'm ready to open all windows in the house. This warm weather in December is for the snowbirds!

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Are you in the same "Ohio" that I'm in? I realize you're a little north of me...but not much. I'm ready to open all windows in the house. This warm weather in December is for the snowbirds!
LOL. Yeah about 50 min North E. We have only been burning a few days a week for a while. Wood is our only heat source, since we didn't refill the propane (and couple space heaters). Our house is completely block with furred drywall, no insulation and siding over stucco on the outside. No idea what R-value that is, but I guess around 5-7. So after several days of equalizing with the outside, 62' was a little chilly. It was 80+ inside last night, but that will set us up for the 70' weekend! which should be about right for a couple days. Sorry for the hijack, anything other than cherry last night in the stove would have had us opening doors.

BTW....Pics look like cherry to me.

From the first pic yes , i would say cherry. The second pic i can see some remants of bark that looks similar to cherry but not certain. If you have any pieces with bark still on them, it will be rough flaky dark grey to black looking bark, its actually a messy wood to handle if the bark hasnt fallen off.

Thanks for the help. The bark is nasty scaley stuff. I try to peel the bark when I can for the wood I need to dry faster. The cherry is nearly impossible. It is my favorite wood just because it's so dry compared to everything else. The one kind of wood I can grab and burn without worrying.

I'm trying to save my 2 year old hardwood mix until it gets really cold. With the warm weather and a bit of luck it will turn into 3 year wood while I'm burning the cherry.

I've been calling some of the wood I got this year "cherry" but haven't been totally sure. It's the only kind that has been reliably dried below 20% vs the other "seasoned" stuff in the pile. I've read cherry is a fast dryer. So when I burn something from the new wood it's this. This picture is a little more orange but many are darker red. Thought I'd save you all another separate wood id thread. Am I right - cherry? View attachment 169042View attachment 169043

Yup cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.