Cherry Pits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brokenwing

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2012
Northern Maryland
I just called my local TSC to see when they will be getting more pellets in, and she said they have cherry pits in right now for 4.99 for a 50 pound bag. Curious to see if you all have burned cherry pits, and what was your experience. She told me they burn alot hotter.

To the Mod would you erase this, I misread there was another thread with plenty of useful information about cherry pits from TSC, Thank you.

$200/ton for Cherry pits is actually not a bad price, considering your location.

Even though my stove is already "Cherry Pit-ready", I haven't burned them (or seen them here). The posts that I've read indicate that they are indeed hotter, but burn much faster (they are hollow).

If you don't have corn-rated exhaust pipe, pipe corrosion could be a problem down the road, and I seem to remember a big increase in the ash level. Mixing them 50/50 with pellets might be interesting.

Read this thread, and pay particular attention to post #2 by Mike Holton:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/65817/

I picked up a bag to try out.

Mixed pellet/pit ratio of 80/20 just to see how they compare to pellet/corn.
They seem to burn nice and hot and a bit cleaner than when I use corn mix.

Gave me heart failure a couple of times when the auger would pinch a pit.
POP.....Duck and cover.

You two crack me up....U don't miss a dang thing
Slickplant takes the prize tho

tinkabranc said:
You two crack me up....U don't miss a dang thing
Slickplant takes the prize tho

I miss 'ol slickplant....wonder what she's up to these days?

you guys give me lots of laughs. I always hear about sickplant mentioned in threads so I did a search for that name. After reading the threads I think i had tears in my eyes from all the laughter. Imacman thnaks for that link, you all have a good weekend.

Brokenwing said:
you guys give me lots of laughs. I always hear about sickplant mentioned in threads so I did a search for that name. After reading the threads I think i had tears in my eyes from all the laughter. Imacman thnaks for that link, you all have a good weekend.

Yep, those were some fun times on the 'ol forum with Slick....I was crying from laughing so much, and Woodsman was right there with me, I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.