Cherry right??

BigJ273

Burning Hunk
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
The only reason I ask is because this stuff is straight, super easy to cut and split. Most of the cherry I see around here is knotty and really tough to split. This smells like cherry for sure tho. Just weird.

Attachments

David.Ervin

Feeling the Heat
Jan 17, 2014
O-H
Sure looks like cherry from where I sit.

Gearhead660

Dec 20, 2018
WI
What does a fresh split smell like? Looks like Cherry....

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Looks wet but could be black birch.

mark cline

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2012
Cattaraugus, NY
You could be right about the uprooted tree. I have a lot of cherry that sprouted off of a cut cherry tree about 20 yrs ago. We call them stump shoots or stump cherry , they grow fast because they are using the huge root system . The problem is they grow so fast and tall they fall over easy from a wet snow or wind. The bark looks like a cross of cherry and birch sort of.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
Yessir, that is sopping wet Cherry. ==c

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
I have seen several guys saying that cherry is easy to split.
I got hold of a truck load of cherry one time, from a tree surgeon. That stuff was very hard to split.

Reactions: JimBear

spudman99

Feeling the Heat
Jan 26, 2018
Yardley, PA
Some cherry trees in the area are ornamental, such as the flowering cherry I cut down last year. Limbs curve and have many branches so harder to split. Still counts as cherry wood and was just about 100% of what I burned from Nov-Jan of this year. Worked well and seasoned over 1 long summer when split and stacked.

tadmaz

Feeling the Heat
Dec 21, 2017
Erin, WI
In my experience, black cherry has been straight grained.

hickoryhoarder

Feeling the Heat
Apr 5, 2013
Indiana
Native black cherry from the woods splits super easy (except for twisted portions, of course). It's what I use with neighbors who want to learn how to split with my maul. It rewards any beginner who hits it gently in the center.

I use a lot of cherry, on purpose. It makes beautiful fires when combined with oak and hickory. (It needs their heat.) Your photos look like cherry. By itself, there's a reason it's used for barbecuing -- it can smoke when not hot enough.

Sodbuster

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2012
Michigan
After dead Ash, Cherry is my go to wood source, seasons in a year or less.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Yep, it's Cherry !!

My second fave firewood, after maple.

One thing I've learned with Cherry .... adding a not totally seasoned split to a coal bed to start an over night... bark down, all the way :)