Cherry tree didn't flower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drz1050

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2014
Ballston Lake, NY
So I planted a Yoshino Cherry at my place last fall, early September.. I was a little worried about it making it through the harsh winter we had here (upstate NY), but now it's covered in leaves and seems happy, with the exception of no flowers.

Is this normal for a first year tree, while it gets used to its new surroundings and the roots get established? That's what I'm thinking/ hoping, I'd like some confirmation though from someone who knows more about these things..

Yep, most likely normal recovery from root shock. Could be other less common issues though. Might need yet another year to flower, but might knock your socks off next spring

Reactions: drz1050
Yeah when I was little I loved climbing in the peach tree in the back yard. Dad told a guy one day that he didn't understand why the tree never put on peaches. The guy told him to paddle my ass and keep me out of that tree and it would put on peaches.

He did and it did.

Give it time to settle in.

I learned a rule of thumb that has proven true in my experience.

When planting anything perennial:

The first year it sleeps.
The second year it creeps.
The third year it leaps. (and I have found, every year thereafter according to it's maximum size)

All this of course dependent on good care ^^

Thanks, all! I pruned off the dead/ criss crossing branches this week too.. I'll expect it to be 30 ft tall and wide by next Spring!

Mellery used the phrase that I was taught. I also heard that it may take a year for each inch of diameter of the tree. I'd give it a modest fertilization with a level valued fertilizer. The phosphorous helps root development, potassium helps in flowering etc.

Did you put bone meal in the hole before planting? As Adios said, phosphorus helps root development.

Daughter planted lilies in a side bed ... figured they died as the first couple of years were iffy. They were monsters last year!

No bone meal in the hole.. didn't know about that. Is that the same for all fruit trees? I plan on planting a few more fruiting ones soon..

I mainly used compost for the hole, then mulched on top.

From what I've read, handful of bone meal in the bottom of the hole is good for fruit trees too. Plan on planting a cherry tree or two for my new DIL from Japan who misses cherry blossoms:) We were given that advice from a nursery when we planted our blue spruce trees.

Apparently fruit trees also benefit from nitrogen... manure or poultry manure compost, fish meal, bloodmeal...

I had a flowering crabb tree that I bought for it's nice flowers...well for the the first 3 years I didn't get any! Then last year, POOF. It's flowers galore! GIve it time and it will flower ;)

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.