Cherry weekend !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IndianaTech

Jul 26, 2010
Southern Indiana
Hey there all !! Besides the spotty wet weather I had a pretty successful weekend out in the woods. I had some standing dead cherry trees spotted out while hunting this year, and went out yesterday to fell, and buck em. I got two down, and loaded on the trailer to head back to the house, and decided to look around a little before heading in. I was able to find 2 giant tulip poplars that had come down in a storm, as well as a red maple with the top blown out of it. Im not sure what attacks these poor cherry trees, but there is about another half dozen that are dead all the way up till the very top. Anyway I just wanted to share my weekend with you all !! Tis the season for the Sthil to be burning through a few tanks of gas a day :)

P.S.... Sorry about the poor pictures !!

Standingdeadcherry.jpg

Standingdeadcherry2.jpg

Cherryrounds2.jpg

Cherryrounds.jpg

PileOCherry.jpg

Nice, always good to find some wood.

[quote author="IndianaTech" date="1305504954"]Hey there all !! Besides the spotty wet weather I had a pretty successful weekend out in the woods. I had some standing dead cherry trees spotted out while hunting this year, and went out yesterday to fell, and buck em. I got two down, and loaded on the trailer to head back to the house, and decided to look around a little before heading in. I was able to find 2 giant tulip poplars that had come down in a storm, as well as a red maple with the top blown out of it. Im not sure what attacks these poor cherry trees, but there is about another half dozen that are dead all the way up till the very top. Anyway I just wanted to share my weekend with you all !! Tis the season for the Sthil to be burning through a few tanks of gas a day :)

P.S.... Sorry about the poor pictures !!

Pictures look fine and the cherry even better, we've been burning for two years and usually burn just over three cord of cherry per year plus some sugar maple and beech.

GIBIR

Niiiiiice!!

Pictures do look good and cherry is always one of my favorites. Looks like a nice tree, and it seasons fast, smells good. I do enjoy the smells of fresh cut/split wood. I am splitting some white oak now and I remember someone else saying they smell like wiskey barrels. I do get what they are saying, even though I do not ever remember smelling a whiskey barrel.

That looks like some ideal cherry. Enjoy it next winter. We don't have much problem with the cherry dieing but we don't have any old trees as most are about like what you pictured.

Status
Not open for further replies.