Cherry Wood? ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CJRages

Oct 20, 2009
Mid Missouri
The homeowners association cut down a half-dead mulberry tree and what appears to be a smaller cherry tree last Saturday. By Sunday evening I received permission to take the wood from the brush piles which happened to be located about 200 yards from our house. Local firewood is the best!

Anyway my question relates to the cherry tree... it had just begun to put on leaves, but there were no flowers. Is that normal for a cherry tree? Do they make leaves then flowers or the other way around? The bark didn't look like a mature cherry tree (those with deep scaly patches of bark). The heartwood was red-pink with white sapwood. Splits easily except that the sapwood around the edge/next to the bark wants to hold the splits together.

Does that sound like cherry? I can take pics if that helps.

Pics needed

Sounds like it could be cherry from your description. The cherries on our property leaf out first (just started late last week) and flower later. Cheers!

There are several types of cherry. Black Cherry has the flaky bark, while the others tend to have a smooth bark more like birch. The wood decription sounds like one of the other species. Around homes, edible cherry is common, and frequently escapes to grow in the woods. There are also Fire Cherry and Pin Cherry which are both similar to Edible Cherry, more or less.

it is normal for Black Cherry to leaf out first, them flower later. Small ones often don't have many flowers. Other cherries flower and get leaves about the same time, typically.

You're going to like that Mulberry. Cherry ain't too bad either. Nice find!

Status
Not open for further replies.