Wood ID Help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ReggieT

Aug 13, 2015
Birmingham, AL
Hey Guys,

Nabbed these up from a blowdown close to my neighborhood.
The 1st three pics of the reddish big rounds I thought were Cherry, they smell sweet, but lack the dark red heartwood of cherry.
Don't split quite as easy any cherry I've harvested either!!!!
Here are pics of bark, a slabbed split, and the rds.

The other three pics of the grey wood looks like some type of oak...pin, scarlet, red..???

Cherry Bark.jpgCherry Split Rd.jpgCherry Splits and axe.jpg
Pin Oak End Shot.jpgPin oak side.jpgPin Oak.jpg

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Reg

Reactions: patrickk222
Last three look like red oak to me, first ones don't look like anything in my northern climes, is pecan an option?
Good eye there. The last 3 pics of the gray-colored wood did prove to be a red oak hybrid of sorts.
The first big reddish-looking rounds maybe some type of red maple...it split crazy hard even using the Fiskars!:p

With my vast inexperience, I would say it
is FIREWOOD But what do I know?
:)
An amazing grasp you have for the obvious.;);lol

Last two photos look like red oak to me.

Reactions: ReggieT
Last two photos look like red oak to me.
Yes sir...they are. the unmistakable smell/color/grain gave it away after I split a bunch today. Thanks for taking a look see!

I going with
* pear
* red oak

I going with
* pear
* red oak
I like that...it certainly does remind me of some larger Bradford Pear stumps.
Those rascals burn HOT too!:)_g

Funny, I was just in Tennessee and was amazed how I could't identify the trees I was walking past. Regions definitely have their own tree species. Obvious ones I could but most I was stumped!

Funny, I was just in Tennessee and was amazed how I could't identify the trees I was walking past. Regions definitely have their own tree species. Obvious ones I could but most I was stumped!
Eastern Tennessee may have the most tree diversity in North America. Especially the lower slopes of the Smokies.

Yes, in my 11 yrs there I have not been able to get to know them all. Amazingly beautiful area!